cleaning ebony?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by johans, Nov 9, 2005.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi guys,

those of you fretless guys. ..

how do you clean some fretmarks your flatwound left on your fretboard?

2. CWK

Jun 9, 2005
    South Centeral Pa.
    I dunno.When I quit looking it dosen't bother me.
  3. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I assume by marks you mean scratches in the wood. Don't do anything. If it becomes a problem that causes a buzz, have a qualified repairman resurface the finger board. You should get many years of wear before that's needed.
    If your marks are finger munge, wash your hands. But seriously, Dunlap makes a guitar cleaning system that includes an alcohol based finger board cleaner and deep conditioning oil.
  4. A little lemon-oil never hurt anyone. A friend who had a non-fretless ebony fingerboard always treated his with that. Kept it looking nice. I use it on my rosewood fingerboard basses, too.
  5. with rosewood boards, i like to spend some time with #0000 steel wool (cover the pickups with masking tape first) on the fretboard and then finish with a nice oil treatment -- lemon, boiled linseed, blend, etc.

6. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    You're using flatwounds so are the marks you're talking about just the lead looking grime that comes off of the strings? I used to use lemon oil on my fretless and that stuff would come right off. I used Chromes on my fretless and everytime I finished playing it would be all over my fingers as well. never liked that about those strings. Not sure if the same happens with other brands.