1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cleaning Solutions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Solarmist, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hey guys - Whats the best cleaning solution (commercial or home remedy) for fingerprints? I don't want waxes or shining stuff or anything that builds up. Just gentle, and removes fingerprints. A small dab of irish spring soap, and a cloth maybe?

2. Windex works well.

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    water

4. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :smug: Finding someone else to do it, is generally my favourite solution :D.

:meh: OK, a more helpful suggestion is this ... GET YOURSELF A MICROFIBRE CLOTH! (They're usually blue, like his one ;)).

Sadowskykit.

Amazon link ...

These are utterly brilliant inventions and will get rid of fingerprints without leaving any smears, WITHOUT THE NEED FOR ANY LIQUIDS.

I use them all the time on my (mostly gloss black :() basses.

5. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Banned

Mar 12, 2008
    get a microfibre cloth.

6. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Another vote for microfibre. For the more stubborn spots, I love the Sadowsky everyday polish. It's very mild and has a nice smell. Microfibre and the Sad products are what I use on all the instruments that come through my repair shop.

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I swear by Alembic Super Polish. It doesn't build up, can be used all the time, and makes your bass shine and feel buttery smooth to the touch.

Bones

8. I have one these in each one of my cases hands down. And when these indispensable treasures become too soiled they get washed out by hand in the sink with mild body soap. I really don't know how I kept instrument finishes & strings clean before these came on the market. An outstanding tool.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yeah! Someone else uses Windex!

I thought I was the only one.

10. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I use a microfiber cloth and Dunlap polish. Any brand will work. They are pretty much all the same... just re-packaged windex.

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Windex works fine and is safe on most finishes. It contains ammonia and alcohol and a lot of water. I wouldn't use it on nitrocellose.

12. I just wipe the body down with a cloth you can get at a guitar shop. Here are some....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have the Fender cloth and Dean Markley cloth. Both work well. When I get done playing I just wipe it down.

13. Thanks Guys.....I got a flannel cleaning cloth for guitars. Thats some nice stuff-no cleaning solutions required.