Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clefs?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by CS Bass, Feb 8, 2004.

1. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Hi, I recently started using different clefs on DB, and I was wondering about treble clef. I know that the second G on the G string is on the third ledger line of the bass clef, but where is it on tenor, alto, and treble clefs?

Thanks.

2. Here is a link which might provide the answer to your question. You will have to visit the site and read the page - you might even learn more than you bargained for…

Good Luck!

- Wil

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Thanks Wil, really great link :)

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Technically DB is an octave down, so your C above the upper octave G is actually middle C, making the upper octave G being the G below middle C. Technically speaking of course. ;)

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I usually find with treble clef, I am reading a melody in order to understand it and work it into the bass line. Therefore, I play it in whatever octave works, or usually I will play it both down low and up high to get it under my fingers. I know this doesn't answer your questions, but I guess all I am saying is that its generally immaterial to me what octave it 'should' be in, although I completely understand why you would like to know. Usually you can only play it in one place without going up to thumb position, due to low Eb's and their other sub-E brethren.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Which is cool on one level, LERM. But it's nice to get both melodies and solos of other instruments up into the actual written/played range, cause then you're hearing it where it actually is. And it does open up new areas for interpretation....plus it gets your a** up into thumb position.

7. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If I may quote myself:

All I was saying is that there's usually only one way to play it beneath the thumb position, and one that goes into or is in thumb position. And I play it both ways. So I don't understand what behaviour of mine needs to be altered here.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Your self referential tendencies? Sorry, skimming, didn't see the "up high". I was just referring to the "immaterial to me what octave it 'should' be in", and that's why it should not be immaterial, because you hear it/play it where the author was hearing it.

Plus it gets your a** up into thumb position.

9. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sometimes I think I would be better off using my a** to play in thumb position instead of my fingers.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

You too? Huh.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sometimes, when I'm playing, I feel like I've got my thumb in a** position.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

It's comments like this that make viewing TB at the workplace a risky proposition.

Laughing out loud in the middle of the office aways makes for an awkward moment.

13. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    A bass player with an office? Damn!

:smug: