1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clevinger Bass EUB Question

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Pizzabass, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Pizzabass

Pizzabass

Mar 20, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    So I recently acquired a Clevinger Concerto Solid Body for $600. Image to follow.

el4rvc.

Has some TI's on it and getting great tone. Bowing is a pain but it sounds pretty great with that pickup design.

The only question I have right now is I need the side rest for it. The metal wire frame that acts as the structure of a URB body where you rest it against yourself.

I have emailed the addresses on Clevingers site however after a week now there has been no response. I really want to get to playing this thing but without the rest it's a bit of an issue. Owned a BSX T4 in the past and when I attempted to play on that guy without the rest it had for it it was just a nightmare so I know better. This one is easier to play without the rest but over time it'll cause some fun muscles/tendon issues I'm sure.

Does anyone know how I can acquire a new side rest for it? Has anyone done this before? Is this the best way to communicate with Clevinger?

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I have one of the older Clevinger basses. Post a pic of the side and if it is close I will post a picture and length etc of the side I have. I would think it would not be too hard to make one. I personally have a hard time using the side. I much prefer using a stand.

3. On one it is a more or less D-shaped (more similar to the shape of the upper bout of an acoustic upright than a symmetric D) black eloxated aluminium rod.
    I used two layers of rubber foam from a bicycle around it, so that it does not slip. (The inner layer cut into a spiral to fill the space between the outer rubber foam tube and the rod.)
    That works very well.
    I also changed the angled leg into a straight endpin-like one because I prefer some weight on the support. Couldn't play without it.
    I might even have a picture in here, but cannot search for it currently.
    There should be two holes on the back angled to the right and maybe one to the left for a second support (maybe used when sitting). The aluminium rod is as thick as the holes.
    So Clevinger may need the distance of the holes center to center and the diameter to make one for you. I don't think you can make them yourself since they are rather thick and rigid.

4. Pizzabass

Pizzabass

Mar 20, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'll work on getting a pic up but I feel it's how DoubleMIDI put it where there's two holes that the steel prong ends go into that are as thick as the holes are wide. So you can't really make one. It's about 3/8" thick from what I can tell. Would be willing to buy one from Clevinger directly as I acquired this guy for an awesome price and am loving it but I just can't get a hold of anyone with the company.

5. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Wow, what a great deal! Such a low price. I own a Concerto too. Terrific EUB. I had Clevinger make new a new piece for mine. Just keep emailing or even call the number on their website. I might take them a while to respond but they will.
    Clevinger make a super high quality instrument. I gig regularly with mine and get a great sound with it. Its a nice alternative to my big bass or even my Czech-Ease..if I want a real dry, modern sort or tone, playing a real loud gig or playing on a super tight bandstand the Clevinger is the one I take to the job. Enjoy your bass!

Ric Vice likes this.