1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by addito, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I just bought a brand new MarkBass F1 red, and I just have to say i love it.

But the thing I am wandering is the clip light.
    Since this is my first high quality amp I am kind of a noob when it comes to technical stuff so I'm wandering because the manual says that if the clip light is blinking the amp may cause distortion, but is this a warning? Can i somehow damage the amp if i play for a long period of time with the clip light blinking?

2. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Blinking is OK as long as the amp doesn't sound like it's distorting. The good thing about Markbass SS amps is that you know immediately when you're clipping too much just by listening, as it gives off a real nasty digital clipping sound. Shouldn't hurt the amp, but really, you don't have anything to gain by running the gain so hot. In a tube amp or hybrid, yeah, you can get some cool overdrive or a warmer tone, but in a totally SS Markbass amp, you get nothing out of running the gain so hot.