1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clive Chaman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by robgrow, Jan 11, 2012.

1. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Always dug what Clive brought to the music, a very Jamerson groove in a rock band. Also check out Brian Auger's 'Happiness Heartaches' album where Clive is in the rhythm section with the great Lenny White.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks for yet another suggestion, Jerry.
    You recommended the 1st Hummingbird album in a previous Clive Chaman thread...you are putting me in the Poor Haus.
    ;)

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jim, these guys have the download for a little over three bucks. eMusic | eMusic

They also have the early Steve Khan stuff at a great price.

5. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Thats from the album rough & ready, jeff beck 1969. Amazing album, superior bass playing!

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I had the pleasure of taking some lessons from him. Super guy.
    Hummingbird was wonderful. "Fire and Brimstone" is one of my soundcheck favorites. Groovy.

slagheap likes this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Thanks, Jerry.
    I bought Hummingbird (used cd) after the last Chaman thread...& have had the Khan stuff for ages (thanks to Audiophile Imports). ;)

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i love Clive with Brian Auger and with Jeff Beck. His stuff with Auger is off the chain though, happiness heartaches is just sick bass playing.

9. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    damn, that is awesome. what were the lessons like? did you get an idea of his general approach to the instrument? was he trained on upright? man, i love his playing.

10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    His lessons were quite fundamental. Emphasis on scales, variations, arpeggios, and timing. Groove was a huge thing with him.
    Biggest take-away was him telling me, "If you make a mistake, make it loud. Only you, and a couple other people will really notice it, so just smile and keep playing." Took a lot of the pressure off.
    No idea about his upright playing.

slagheap and markjazzbassist like this.
  11. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Thank-you!

12. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

"Rough and Ready" was actually from 1971

13. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010