Close F-Holes?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by crybaby54, Jun 1, 2008.

1. crybaby54

crybaby54

Feb 17, 2006
    Most slapping bass players close both F-holes of their double basses....I think, to avoid feedback.
    But unplugged the bass sounds dead then.
    What does that mean to the amplified sound......?
    Is it a difference to your sound amplified, when you close F-holes?

If it´s not necessary and I have no feedback with open f-holes.......should I close them or not...what gives a better sound amplified??????

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    If it ain't broke, why mess with it?

3. I had horrible issues with feedback, I'd have loved to have seen the closed hole setup. Has anyone got a pic?

Personally, I'd say, if it doesn't currently feedback, don't mess with it as moles said. On the other hand, if it is feeding back, then block it up. If works well for acoustic guitars. :)

4. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    There are ALOT better ways to avoid feedback. Do a search over on Rockabillybass.com, tons of good info on that and on this site too.

5. Closing the F-holes is strictly a feedback reduction trick.

If you're bass isn't howling like a moose in rut, leave them alone.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021