Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Closest. Call. Ever.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Johnny Mac, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I was literally five seconds away from not being able to play my bass at a school concert yesterday.

My music class was playing in the school's Christmas concert. I was given the role of bassist, my cousin and his friend (also a bassist) were playing the guitars. Another of my cousin's friends played the drums, with another student doing additional percussion. Anyone who didn't play an instrument sang.

During the rehearsal, I noticed that the nut holding in the input jack was coming loose. I didn't think anything about it. We played our songs (a medley of Carol of the Bells, Silent Night, Rudolph, Jingle Bell Rock, and going back into CotB). The entire rehearsal was played in front of other classes. The bell rang in the middle of our set, and some of the classes left. Half the audience was gone at the end of our set, and we still got the loudest ovation.

I left my bass at school until the actual concert, along with my cousin's guitar and his friend's bass (he played it during another song, using the school's guitar during our set). I came back that night and watched the first half of the concert. During the intermission, I went backstage to tune my bass. By then, the nut and washer had fallen out and the input jack fell into the bass. I found the nut and washer on the ground, but it didn't help me-I had no screwdriver, so I couldn't fix it. Not that I knew how to fix it, anyway.

Frantically, I looked around for a screwdriver. No luck. My music teacher didn't know where to find one. My cousin's friend offered to let me use his bass, but it was my first public performance-you kind of want to use your own bass for something like that.

One of my other friends came up to me to wish me luck. Fortunetly, he took a video class, and his teacher had a screwdriver. I got the cover off the input jack and tried to get it out. I eventually got it out with the screwdriver, at which point my cousin's friend took my bass to fix it while I helped set up the amps. He got it fixed right before our group was supposed to go on. After some minor electrical problems with the amplifiers, we got up and played. We got the loudest ovation again. I heard from my friends that were at the show that the only good group besides us was the percussion group.

Nothing like a first gig that almost goes wrong.

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    How nervewracking!!! You are sure lucky that your viddie buddy and his teacher came by. So happy to know that you got the bass fixed, and had such a great show!

Cherie :)

3. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Sounds like a close call...

Make sure to get a little repair kit or a multi-tool to keep in your case or gig bag for the future...along with some extra strings, cables, etc. You never know when you're going to need something!

Oh yeah, don't forget the duct tape! :p

4. At the gig last night, the idiots putting up the mic stands didn't do their job properly, so one fell on my kabel and broke it (a wire came loose inside the plug) The lead guitarist had a extra wire, so i tried that, but that was also broken! In the end we had to borrow one. Got it 30 mins before the gig. Close call...

5. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    bit like me, last thursday i was going to play californiacation in my schools christmas concert and i had my bass set up before the show. When it got to our part we got up and done a little sound check but than when we started our song my bass was EXTREMELY quiet (some guy who was messing with the bass before-hand had turned all 3 of the knobs to 0) so in a panic i attempted to turn up all the knobs and still look like i was playing. It was so embarrising :'( ....

6. That was a cheaply learned lesson in making sure you have a good repair kit and backup bass and duct tape. And a spot welder. And a hacksaw. And a quarter inch drill. And a lighter. And a wood lathe.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I learnt a lesson from my engine builder when I was racing. He always said "Do it now" A tie wrap here, a nut tightened there. Sure, you have to have the tools to make the fix but good advice rather than saying to myself, "I'll do that later". Always do it now.