Clothes on stage!EVERYONE HELP

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FourStrings88, Apr 19, 2005.

1. FourStrings88

Apr 17, 2003
    Well I am going to be performing at a piano store which is suppose to have A LOT of people in it and my teacher(wh oI am playingwiht) says that I should wear a tie and shirt.

Now first of all Im 15 years old and I dont wanan wear a tie so I was wondering if you guys knew anything I could possibly do to look good and have my own style and feel comfortable please ALL SUGGESTIONS would be great thanks!

I wanna do something diffrent
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Wear the tie and shirt.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

anyone of any age can wear a tie and a shirt without looking bad.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +2, don't be a jerk about it. :) if he wants you to wear a tie and shirt, just wear a tie and shirt...

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i think this is going to be unanimous.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Yup. If the gig calls for it, then you do it. nuff said.
  7. Yeah, shirt and tie it. ain't no thang. People aren't always inviting of buckers to the norm, and you're playin piano, it's practically expected to wear a shirt and tie.

Be hip and retro, get a skinny leather tie. And match it with a NICE shirt so you still won't come off an ass.

8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Part of having a professional attitude is looking professional, which means dressing appropriately for the situation at hand.

That being said, your Three Stooges tie may or may not be fair game. :D
  9. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    what's really cooler...being a typical 15 year old and stickin' it to da Man, or wearing the friggin' shirt and tie, garnering some respect, and prolly getting more gigs?
    sure, you don't want to be a shirtntie geek. neither do i...i'm triple yer age, have eight earrings (not counting a piercing only my sweetie sees...) and a tat on my right hand. however, i wear shirt and tie to certain gigs because it furthers my career. (such as it is...;) )
    that being said, wear a cool colored shirt, and a fun tie...yer teacher didn't say make it boring, right?
  10. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    For the love of god, man; WEAR THE TIE!!!
  11. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    If you don't like the idea of a tie how about a nice sport coat with a collared shirt?
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Alright, I'll be the one to say it.

Wear the tie.
  13. Wear a Misfits T-shirt, jeans, ripped Chuck Taylors and Ray-Bans. Make sure you spill a mustard/ketchup mixture all over yourself.

THAT screams professional.

Don't forget a 16 oz water glass full of gin.

Gin means professional.

Wear the shirt and tie.
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm actually buying a tie for an upcoming gig. I don't currently own one. This happens every time I am forced to wear a tie, I can't find the one I bought the LAST time I was forced to wear a tie, so I got out and buy a new one...which I will lose before I am again in a situation that requires the wearing of a tie.

If you want to do something different wear a cool tie. I'm one of those "all black, all the time" people, so when I have to wear a tie I need one that goes with a black dress shirt...used to have a cool one with little silver metallica logos on it, you had to be really close to notice them. I wore that to company meetings back when I had a real job.
  15. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the recomendations for wearing a tie here are correct ,

their particular tastes are questionable though.

get your oldest female sibling to check you out before you leave, she has to be over 30 yrs old.
  16. FourStrings88

Apr 17, 2003
    Ok lol...First off I AM NOT PLAYING THE PIAN.Why would i be on this forum then?I am playing in the store.

And I was just only trying to get suggestions I AM GOING TO WEAR THE SHIRT AND TIE OR a jacket just wear it nice be it play 12 bars blue riff or one note.I think it may be partially my fault for not explaining fully in my first post I dunno whatever im going to get my stuff on friday and its on saturday soI got it I think it was actually a stupid post.Lol

thanks anyways Later!
  17. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    At a minimum, wear a dress shirt/pants/shoes. But as everyone else said, you're not in charge in this situation, so just go with it.
  18. From one 15 year old to another I have some advice. Do the pink floyd tie, I also like the flying V shaped ties. try and find one.
  19. robe

Oct 19, 2003
    i say wear a suit jacket with a bright coloured shirt (lime green perhaps) and NO fashionable and go the suit jacket without the tie..and open collar. And finishing touch for me would be matching chucks, i have green myself, but just blakc ones or the smae colour as the shirt would look very kool. O..and for a classic touch wear a flower in you suit jacket and and ncie hat and some cool sunnys. (the sunnys could be coloured)

And thats my two cents