1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Stambaugh - Show your Stammies!! [Part 3]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 25, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  2. Subscribed. :hyper:

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    After the first one I'd gotten comfortable waiting for my second Stammie - until Chris started sending me pictures.

This one's going to be very similar to my first bass
    jared5-1.

But this one will be fretless, with a bubinga body, a wenge/zebrawood/flamed maple set neck, EMGs, a fretless Mac Ebony fingerboard (with subtle inlaid lines and an cyanoacrylate coating) and a zebrawood top with mac ebony "pickguard"

Chris sent me pics of both top woods. The ebony isn't wet down so it's a lot lighter than it will end up.

zebrawood.
    ebony.

Oh, and keeping with the theme from the last bass, the MOP inlay on this one will look like this:
    [​IMG]

Chris originally said October, and with the neck already done it shouldn't be too far past that. Before Christmas I'd think.

:bassist:

4. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Oh, and subscribed.

I've been slackin' on updating the gallery but as long as I don't have to shop for a new car this weekend (fender bender did a number on mine - getting a full estimate tomorrow) then I'll remedy that this weekend.

PM me if your bass isn't included in the update.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I killed the last thread. :(

So THIS:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is the bubinga top Chris picked out for my new Stammie. :D

5 string bolt-on fretless
    lined ebony board with ramp
    Torrain shape (like my white one)
    three piece body - limba wings with a flame maple center block
    bubinga top
    black hardware
    one Nordstrand dual-coil towards the bridge
    Piezos
    Aguilar preamp

Pretty simple, but it should do the trick.

6. I though that might be bubinga. I may have to figure out a way to finagle a new one, just to legitimately get in this thread. :rolleyes:

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    What do you guys think of that top? I initially was thinking flamed redwood, but Chris said it would need a poly finish which I don't necessarily want, and that he could probably find something similar that wouldn't need it.

This, obviously, doesn't look like flamed redwood or like what I had in my head, but it's really really unique.

8. I like it a lot. I wonder if Chris could switch it around(out side edges meeting in the middle)to see how the figure looks that way..?

9. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I can dig it.

The way the pattern is set up, it will almost give it a burst edge look, if that's really the orientation that Chris will use for it.

The only thing I'd say is that if you had your heart set on flamed redwood, you might want to go that route with a poly finish. That top is very different from what I picture when I think of flamed redwood and you don't want to be second guessing when the instrument shows up.

But if it was me, I'd take it. I think it would make a nice contrast with the simplicity of your white stammie. Plus, I really dig tung oil finishes. :bassist:

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I didn't really have my heart set on flamed redwood, I mostly just had that red-brownish color in mind. I think this piece is really awesome and unique, it's just so different from what I had in mind that I need to kind of wrap my mind around it.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    subscribizzled...

12. Also subscribing. Can't wait to see everyone's new stuff. :D

I'd really like to order a fretless from Chris to go with my 6 that he built for me earlier this year, but I just don't have the coin for it. So I shall live vicariously through you all! :p

13. Still have one on order.

14. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    That Bubinga is hot! I like the redwood as well, but thats pretty unique. I'm still broke but when i get some funds, I'll be going all out on a 6er with Chris.

15. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Subscribed!

16. I know what you mean about wrapping your head around it. I think that piece of wood is fantastic! I was trying to see in my mind where all of the grain will be located on the top based on where Chris put the template. It looks like all of the fun parts will sort of outline the body. Me likey! :D

17. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Wow!...more fantastic woods. He knows how and where to find them. And even better...he crafts them like no other.

Subscribed. :cool:

18. How is your 10 treating you, Mark?

19. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Ok, I finally got around to updating the gallery. I may move a few pictures around, but at least I added all the new Stammies that have had pictures posted. Oh, and it should load faster now.

If there's any information you want me to add to the caption about your bass, or if the owner info is out of date (I know a few have changed hands, but I don't know who owns them now) drop me a line.

Let me know if you experience any problems viewing it.

20. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's one thing I love about Chris' work. He always seems to get the right piece for the right job. With a large scale builder it's really a matter of luck if you get a great piece for your top, but he makes sure every bass gets that treatment.

In any event, I've done some minor editing to the gallery. I've also added information on a few basses that was provided to me, largely just cut and paste. I could go back through the threads and find info on each bass I'm sure, but I don't really have the time. Plus I like the idea that people get to write their own descriptions for their basses.

Send me along some info if you want it included.

Edit: I also sent along the URL to Chris so hopefully he'll link to it from his site. At the very least I told him I have all these pictures sized and web optimized for whenever the update to his site actually happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.