1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

College town blues...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pharmakon, Oct 2, 2010.

1. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    One draw back of living/playing in a college town is having a show scheduled on the night of a huge game! One that starts at 8!

It'll be a glorified rehearsal, for sure!

Hell, I'll even be peaking through the window to the bar side to catch the score if the game is still going on when we hit the stage tonight!

GO GATORS! :D

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    On balance, the big games seem to be good for music in Madison. More people show up than expect to attend the game, and many make a weekend of it. So, they're holed up in all of the downtown hotels, looking for entertainment. We provide.

My bandleader rents his lawn for parking.

3. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Oh man the woes of a college town when you have a gig right after a big game and the cops close down the area because of rioting. That happened when UMD played Duke last year. Place woulda been PAAACKED

4. TIVO F.T.W.
    and GO GATORS

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    That's true but fdeck, but folks in Wisconsin have absolutely NO idea what an inter-state football rivalry. Ask the OP how the emotions run when U of F or U of M or FSU play each other. Hatred barely skims the surface.

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I've watched many games while gigging. :bassist:

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's hard to hate anybody when you've got the world's best beer and cheese. :D

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Point taken my friend. OTOH, when it comes to football, I think they got the better end of the stick down south.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So how did the gig go for you? That game was pretty much over by the 2nd quarter.

10. You were better off not seeing the game.

11. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    Oh man, where do I start?

First, the bar wouldn't start the bands until AFTER the game. I thought we should have started a bit earlier. Like half time :\

Second, the first band that played... I think all of their equipment on stage was worth more than I made last year! and they were all about 22-25. Punks!

Third, the 'real' stage sound that night was bad. None of could hear the drummer very well, which made for some interesting timing issues, I'm sure.

Fourth, we played for the other bands and like 5 friends. Scratch that. We played for 1/2 of one of the other bands. 1am start times FTL.

Fifth, We gators are pouty when we lose, especially if we can't even score a freakin' touch down! So NO one was going out that night.

We have another show next weekend after the LSU game. I'm hoping both the Gators and us get a sweet redemption!

And yes, SEC football is one of a kind. I mean, look at that Tenn/LSU ending. Un-freakin'-real!

Someone mentioned UM and FSU? Those letters have no meaning to me ;)

12. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    One venue we play has old school video games at the bar. Our first night there, the rhythm guitarist lost his place because he was watching Knockout on the NES!

That same place has the stage right next to the door, and I'm usually on that side. I find myself frequently checking out the chicks who are walking in :D

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Two years ago, my band had a gig that went up against a Phillies World Series game. The bar had small TV's, so attendance was not exactly generous. But at least I could see a TV from my corner of the stage to catch highlights, and we still had a few innings left after our set. I caught a Ryan Howard homer before hitting the road.

I'd prefer not to go up against a big game in Philly, but playing a set in a packed bar after the game would be cool.