Coltrane's House aka serious GAS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by erikwhitton, Mar 2, 2004.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Very interesting article...

I was born and raised in neighboring Huntington, NY. I knew that Coltrane's son was born in Huntington Hospital but I never knew he lived there.

anyone who wants to support my cause to purchase this home please send funds via pay pal. :help:

2. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004
    Trane's grave is also near Dix Hills....
  3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Do you know where?
  4. Peter Dalla

Peter Dalla

Feb 2, 2004

John Coltrane's grave
    Jazz Musician
    Waypoint: N40.45.078 W073.23.663

Pinelawn Cemetery
    On Long Island Ave. and Welland Rd.
    Farmingdale Lawn Guyland
  5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Hmmmm . . .

On the one hand, I'm not entirely sanguine about creating a physical shrine to John Coltrane. I have never heard anything that would suggest that the man himself would endorse anything like that. And his immediately family, all but one of whom are still very much alive, a) do not seem to be behind the effort; b) chose to leave the place, for whatever reasons at the time; and c) do not endorse Coltrane-worship other than in its purest sense, through musical practice and exploration. Along those lines, the Coltrane family HAS preserved John's horns, and they sure have reissued his music, to the benefit of all of us.

On the other hand, George Washington and his family discouraged hero-worship. Others chose to preserve some physical connection to his legacy, and that's a good thing.

What does it mean when John Coltrane is considered to be a bona-fide component of American history?

Following those notions, here is a link to a fairly lengthy interview with John Coltrane about his spiritual beliefs. I'm not fond of the interviewing style, but it is a thrill to hear nevertheless.
  6. I think it means there may be hope for this crazy world yet :)

Interesting interview on that link, BTW; thanks.
  7. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Sam - you're perspective on things is always a treat. I hafta say I agree with you thoughts on the whole museum/shrine thing.

But serioulsy - how cool would it be to live in that house?

anyways - here's the latest, looks like the house is saved from destruction for a bit...

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    From an e-mail I got from an alto player out near Huntington that I work with a bit...

The Huntington Town Council voted unanimously ( 5-0 ) IN FAVOR of designating the Coltrane home as a Town of Huntington landmark !!!!!