Combining channels on Vintage SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OiBass, May 27, 2005.

1. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    After seeing the Mesa 400 thread regarding combining channels, I was wondering if anyone w/ a vintage SVT has
    tried combining the channels-
    Any big sound difference?-
    Any danger to the head or cab by doing this?-
  2. I was actually talking to someone about this tonight!

With the Skunkworks (remade to the same spec as the vintage SVT, bar a minor difference in the pre which emulates the vintage), and you can patch them so it plays both channels, so its doable, im just not 100% how
  3. There's no point. Both channels are voiced exactly the same, only that channel one has a midrange control and two doesn't. The Mesa has differently voiced channels, so by combining them, you get tonal options that neither channel can deliver individually. An SVT overdrives at roughly 1 o'clock, so you can't use any more gain, either.
  4. paulie

Aug 31, 2004
    the difference with those amps (wrt vintage) are the 12AX7s as opposed to 12DW7s - you're thinking of the SVP-CL pre though I think.. heh.

running both channels just involves running a patch lead from one input (the free one) on one channel, to the other channel input. It sounded pretty good when I tried it but didn't really play about with it that much. Could have been the same as just turning it up I guess.

I wish I'd tried the 2 channel thing with my 400+ before I sold it.
  5. Ah right, my bad, my brain farted half way through out convo it seems

Doesnt the bassist for I Stand Alone have a Mesa 400+ ?
  6. paulie

Aug 31, 2004
    nah he's got a 400
  7. godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    I use both channels on my vintage SVT. It does allow a little more flexability in setting the tone, and you can get sounds you can't get just using one channel. I never loop from input to input though (ex ch 1 brilliant to ch 2 normal) I split the signal with a stomp box with two out puts.

I like to run my guitar distortion stomp boxes into channel 2 with the ultra high switched in. With the effects off, you get little more attack by having the first channel set a little flat, and then add the ultra high on the second channel. It does sound different then just using one channel with the ultra high on. Same thing with the ultra low, or using the Mid sweep on channel 1 combined with channel 2. It seems to growl more at a lower volume using both channels too, but it is still way loud...

I change the settings on the amp a lot though, and the main reason I will use both channels is to blend clean and effected sounds to preserve the bottom end.

Sometimes I'll use the stereo out on my Ric 4001 with the Ric-o-sound box to dial in the EQ for each pick up, and get a volume boost with them both turned on.
  8. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I never saw any reason for using both - plenty of gain & tone control with the first channel.

I did play a gig last week where we ran the kick drum through channel 2 just to beef it up a little (no subs on the PA)....worked fine.