1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Combo Amp dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RafaelWeber, Mar 6, 2013.

1. TC Electronic BG 250

46 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. Fender Rumble 150

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Warwick BC 150

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Laney RB4

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. RafaelWeber

RafaelWeber

Mar 6, 2013
    Azóia
    Sorry about that. I've written my location now.
    It is truly intriguing how many people support the TCs, I guess that I can't go wrong with one if it has warranty.
    Thank you for all of the input.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    TC sounds good for a digital amp, but my problem with digital amps is they always sound like an MP3 version of an amp. Digital is getting there but it's not there yet. Some of the really high end digital stuff for desktop computers and devices like the Axe-FX are really good, but they come with a price, and I still don't like them as much as old fashioned analog amps. Just my opinion of course...YMMV.

3. hampulator

hampulator

Feb 10, 2012
    I own a GK MB115,it's pretty sweet. But if I got another It's be the Warwick(They're some nice amps!) Then the TC(Also a great,great amp). ~Peace

4. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    My TC Electronic BG 250 finally came yesterday!

I'm beyond impressed with this amp.

One thing that others may have already pointed out, be sure to "burn it in" after purchase. More often than not, electrical failure will occur within 72 hours of first use, or not at all. Also, a padded case is a worthwhile investment for this amp, if you're going to be transporting it quite a bit.

5. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I ust bought one for my son....he's on his way home from work right now....he's gonna freak out! I really like the amp.

6. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Granted - it's only the internet, but here is a whole tassel of videos for the TC BG250.

For the GK MB115-II, best I could find in videos.

7. Many people like all of the amps you list and others as well. I'd think that in your position (coming from a 15W practice amp and unable to try before you buy), you'd likely be happy with any of them.

I have a BG250 and would recommend it to someone would isn't particularly big on a more bright sound. The sound is fat, smooth and punchy. The EQ section takes a novel approach where the frequency midpoint moves with the boost or cut. Not the best for big tweakers, but I like the results. You have to work to get to a bad EQ IMO.

Flaw? Probably the choice of covering. It's a bit more delicate than most. A cover is a good idea.

8. RafaelWeber

RafaelWeber

Mar 6, 2013
    Azóia
    I am not so concerned about the versatility of the amp since I'll get a Sansamp Bass Driver DI when I'll be able. But as long as the speaker has a good tonal range, it's reliable as a whole, etc. It's perfect!
    I'll be sure to "burn it in", we can't ever be too careful...

Once again, thank you for all of the input.

9. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I owned a BG250 for a short time,,,, but it could not compete with any of my GK MB combos as far as tone and power.

The BG250 has to a muffled flat tone, much like flat wound strings sound on a bass,,,,, the built in tuner and the tone print are cool features though.

If your looking for an old school bass tone then the BG250 might be a good pick.

The GK combos on the other hand can do any tone, be it old school or a bright modern sound and any tone in between.

After comparing my BG250 side by side with my GK MB210, MB115, MB112 and MB212 the BG250 got quickly returned to the store.

Cheers
    Davyo

10. A lot of Peavey combos sound really good atm, a very good sound for rock imo.

It'll also be well priced and survive for longer than you do.

11. I agree. I seriously tried the TC Electronic and it does sound quite like you describe... feels like something's missing. The sound always feel like it's a bit out of focus.

12. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    Feel free to have personal bias if you wish, but any correlation between the Hartke Hydrive combos and "metallic sounding" is totally imaginary IME

I have the BG250, but the Hydrive 210 combo to me is clearly superior in natural tone. Size weight and price kept me from buying it.

13. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    Completely unnecessary, just use your amp.. executing a "burn-in" process has solely placebo effect these days.

14. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    I am not making a value judgement of which is best here.. I own the bg250 and have not heard the GK in direct comparison.

My understanding from posts in other threads is that the tone on the GK when everything is set "flat" (ie no shaping and tone controls to 12 o'clock) is that it does not have a flat response?.. this may account for the differences as the (measured) response of the BG250 is flat with a soft fall in the treble above 5kHz.

15. Probably not much to be gained from trying to account for differences in that way. In this context, things are down to individual hearing and personal preference. Just by observation of posts, there seem to be two distinct groups who have a fairly strong preference for one or the other, then there are some who appreciate both. I don't believe I've seen anyone post that they didn't like either.

16. I take kind of an agnostic approach to this. If someone does a "burn-in" test and the amp fails (which is possible), then it's not a placebo. The purpose would have been to test if the amp would fail in that period, so the test would have been successful. OTOH, if it doesn't fail, it has passed that specific "test," but doesn't necessarily tell the tester what they believe it might, so there could be a placebo effect or not.

Various things have to be true...it has to be true that "a significant portion of failures occur within X hours of operation" and it has to be true that simply leaving the amp on has the same effect on it as using it for a similar amount of total time, spread out over several uses. The first, we (consumers) simply don't have the data to know, the second, while unlikely is something that, for end-users, is proven by being proven.

So I don't think you can know. I had one fail. In terms of hours powered up, it was certainly less than 24. I don't feel that I can know whether the amount of time that the amp was on was a significant factor in what happened. If it was, then leaving the amp on for a day would have had the same result. For that unit, I can't know because I didn't leave it on for a day. Maybe it would have failed at the exact number of times it was turned on and off, without regard to the time powered on. I can't know that either.

Since, AFAIK, leaving one of these amps on, not doing any work, doesn't stress it, I don't think that testing for failure this way is properly called a burn-in test.

17. I a/b'd the GK and the TC and preferred the TC. I didn't think it sounded flat at all. I play with round steels and the amp projects all of their brightness nicely. I've gotten nothing but compliments on the sound and others have commented on how "full" of a sound that I have. I'd say a/b them and pick.

18. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    Well, I posted the measured response of the TC in the BG thread... with controls at noon the response is pretty flat..so calling its sound flat would be accurate...lol

I think the issue is that manufacturers typically put a voicing into their amps that is not flat with controls at noon...and if you simply compared A>B the amp with the upper mid forwardness would typically be preferred by most people as having some degree of life and impact.... its not accurate but it would be (instantly) preferred. After all....it is much harder to spend the time to listen and acquaint yourself to something and appreciate what is not there...

I think the TC has a great tone for the $$, and generally run with the mids backed off to about 10 oclock... a mild mid scoop..seems more natural with those settings.

19. Got it... I looked for "transparent" at noon and twiddled.... hee hee. :D