1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Combo Amp dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RafaelWeber, Mar 6, 2013.

1. TC Electronic BG 250

46 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. Fender Rumble 150

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Warwick BC 150

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Laney RB4

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. RafaelWeber

RafaelWeber

Mar 6, 2013
    Azóia
    I'd like to start by saying greetings to all of you fellow bassists.
    I have found myself in a "amplifier dilemma", where I can't really find which amp is right, due to not being able to try any of them out in stores :meh:, so I'm counting on some opinions to finally get rid of my first and not so great 15W Yamaha.

The following amps that I've narrowed down are:
    - Fender Rumble 150
    - Warwick BC150
    - TC Electronic BG250

I mainly play classic rock (nothing modern), blues and jazz on a P-bass and I'm not interested in any Hartkes nor GKs due to their sort of metallic sound, nor am I leaning to whichever amp has the most Watts (I'm only going to jam with a guitarrist for the next 3 years, so it's the sound quality, tone and reliability that I'm most concerned about).
    So, any thoughts on this?:help:

2. Nothing "metallic sounding" about my G-K's and I do Rock, Motown, Country going back to the early '60s up to current pieces. The TC will give you more toys to play with (like the tone print).

3. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    For the most part, when you look around the site you will see that the new standards for combo amps here are the BG250 and the GK MB115. The BG250 is fantastic, I owned it and it is loud, versatile and has onboard effects and tuners. Many others swear by the GK series, and before writing them off, I would try to go and plug in and play with one.

4. RafaelWeber

RafaelWeber

Mar 6, 2013
    Azóia
    Thank you for the reply.
    I tried a GK MB112 and I had that impression of the metallic sound, but by reading those reviews that it had, might have influenced that opinion :meh:
    And the only store that I can reach without having to travel some 20-30 miles, doesn't really have more than an old rumble 100, that GK and markbasses.
    Do the MB112 or 115 have any flaws that you may have noticed?

5. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I would try a 115. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the 115 amp has the GIVE technology in it and the 112 does not. That makes a difference in tone.

6. If you don't like the highs from the G-K MB series use the horn switch on the rear to turn off the horn.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If anything, I'd say the GKs sound too sterile IME. If you want something round and meaty, I would check out the Ampeg PF series amps. The PF-350 or 500 with the matching 1x15 or 2x10 cabs is a great option. They are very nice sounding cabs and are affordable as well.

8. Yes G.I.V.E. and boost with master controls on the MB115.

9. RafaelWeber

RafaelWeber

Mar 6, 2013
    Azóia
    The only problem is that I have no way to try the MB115 (that is why I'm relying on your opinions) and the Ampegs that you mentioned are way out of my price range.

10. RafaelWeber

RafaelWeber

Mar 6, 2013
    Azóia
    It appears that, suddenly, the Gallien-Krueger entered the race and is winning...
    Any opinions on the rest of the combos that i mentioned earlier?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Travel 30 miles. It's worth it if you can try out some amps you haven't seen before. Might want to call ahead and see what they stock first, though.

12. I believe I did give a nod to the TC.

That should be plan A! I have to travel 250 miles!

13. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    I have played both the TC 250 and the GK MB115, both are nice amps, but I would recommend making the drive to try them both out.

14. RafaelWeber

RafaelWeber

Mar 6, 2013
    Azóia
    Well, to travel 30 miles, from here to Lisbon I'd probably spend quite a lot of money on buses, train and subways, something that I can't afford at the moment.
    In these last 3 months I must have searched from one corner of the internet to the other when it comes to reviews so, this is my last move.
    I forgot to see the pole results- it's my first hour here.

15. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    I own and gig with the TC BG250- you can't go wrong with it, it is a real GOOD tone, way louder than it has any right to be (have never had it past 6 on the volume for my gigs at medium bars) and the price can't be beat. One other to throw in the Carvin MB115 seems interesting as well. Was thinking of buying one of those so I don't have to haul my TC up and down my stairs all the time. (although it ain't heavy it's jsut slightly bulky)

16. BFM

BFM

Apr 5, 2011
    These are the choices?

17. RafaelWeber

RafaelWeber

Mar 6, 2013
    Azóia
    I see that the TC BG250 has a lot of good reviews; does it have any flaws at all?
    I have read about some good things about Carvins as well but as far as I'm concerned, they don't sell these in Europe
    Those on the pole were the initial choices but I am open to new ones.

18. Get a used Ampeg B100R. The BEST!!

19. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    The TC is slightly taller than the GK115, but IMHO this helps it project more. So it is a little bulkier, very light though like 31 lbs.

20. Always helps to fill out your profile with location, makes it easier for recommendations (most people check for location for that very reason).