Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo/practice amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blackout, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Hi there :)

I am presently looking for new a combo/pratice amp, and would like some feedback from you guys (If you don't mind :p)

I tried a few already, and has been wanting to check on SWR's side... But I'd like to know what you guys use, and your opinion about your practice amps (I'm looking for something in the 100 - 150 W range)...

Thanks a lot !!!

- Blackout

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I picked up an Ashdown Electric Blue 130 - the foirst generation of these amps! IT has a single 15" speaker, but also in the range was a single 12" and a dual 10" option.

This has since been upgraded to 150 watts, nd more recently to 180 watts. The 150 watt amps also had a speaker out and the sub-harmoniser effect built in (lacking on mine). Not sure if there are new features on the 180 watt versions.

I was impressed with the tone of this amp when left flat (no EQ). It is also very loud for it's size and immensley portable (about 40lbs).

If you get a chance, it might be worth a try! In fact, this combo was so good, I sold off my Trace rig, and have invested in a complete Ashdown rig as well - no regrets!

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well there are a ton of options
    im always a big fan of getting a seperate head and speaker so you can use the speaker as part of a bigger rig
    that being said i think the swr workingman's 12 and 15 are excellent as far as combos go, i havent been as impressed with the la series of theirs

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    For SWR I'd recommend Workingman 12 which I think is the best sounding of the three workingmans. or if you have cash to spare track down a Baby Blue II, not the Baby baby blue (it might be ok but I've never heard of anyone who has one) but people rave about the baby blue II like there's no tomorrow!!!

WM12 is nice and you can also plug extention cab and headphones into it!!

if I remember right the older wm-15 sounded better to me than the newer 15 if you are considering a 15 instead of a 12.