Commenting on news stories online

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Feb 23, 2018.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

One of my sources of news is Yahoo. I like scrolling though the stories before I go to work in the morning. Some years ago I used to comment on the stories but gave it up quickly. Made the mistake of commenting on something recently. Will I ever learn?
    The moronic trolling was pointless and frustrating. It is a shame that a medium that could be a great source for discussion and learning has become a playground for idiots and bots.
    Forgive me if the frustration I feel sounds pretty harsh. The experience did leave me with more appreciation for the posters, mods and Paul's vision here on Talkbass.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Was it trolling or was it contrary opinions? Seems like a lot of people think they're the same thing.

3. slobake

It was trolling, there is a difference between contrary opinions and playground nonsense.

4. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    It's all based around the serotonin that people receive for getting likes. It's a psychiatric condition, like Pavlov except in a much greater quantity. People are doing this over all kinds of different applications and mediums, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, text messages, email, YouTube, Everything. Every bell every alert gets people excited and continues to feed the machine that is the addiction of online commentary.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This is true.

FilterFunk likes this.
  6. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I avoid reading unmoderated comments to news stories because they inevitably devolve into personal insults rather than discussion.

7. slobake

Just thought about the fact that I gave your comment a like. :D

8. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014
    What's worse than feeding the trolls?

Letting the trolls feed you.

9. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    LOL. I will admit that I do enjoy the interaction. But I'm not a selfie taker, or a constant post on Facebook I may be post once a month, and I generally stay away from other types of discussion forums. TalkBass has the right pace for me, if that makes sense.

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Something I have noticed since I am a marketing/sales person is that many of the so called online news story sources deliberately post controversial stories in order to attract lots of back and forth comments and such so that more people will post and therefore keep visiting their websites which is what they want for advertising purposes.

11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    If you are like me, no, you will never learn. go on without me...save yourself...

the harp unstrung, GregC and slobake like this.
  12. slobake

It is scary that my usage is known. Yahoo or whatever I am using knows what type of stories I read and will connect me to what they think I will like as a first choice. That is why I sometimes internally open stories from sources that hold much different views that I do. Hoping that it will confuse whatever is tracking me, but it probably won't.

13. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014
    Resistance is fertile.

Pilgrim, JRA, tlc1976 and 2 others like this.
  14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

That helps. Targeted tracking is why we seem to have such a hard time understanding what facts are these days. Like the fact that everything wants to grow up to be a bass.

the harp unstrung and slobake like this.
  15. I don't know if I should give you a like or find a napkin?
    Oh what the hell. -LIKE- and drool

FingerDub and slobake like this.
  16. Why I oughta! :roflmao:

slobake likes this.
  17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i must admit that i like to read the comments more on behind the steel curtain than i do the actual articles about the steelers

FingerDub, slobake and MJ5150 like this.
  18. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I have to go through Yahoo's site to access my email. I often read a news story or two, and will open up the comments section at times. It is always an absolute cesspool, just grade school nonsense. And yet I can't look away.:help:

19. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Yahoo news? Really, Slo? That's like the TNC of internet news........;)

20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I dropped Yahoo because 1) they force fed me auto play news feeds in my email home screen and 2) well ok it was just the one thing.

Sometimes I will comment just so I can get my monthly dose of being called a newfag and the n word. It never fails.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022