Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compact Mixer For A Preamp...?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Cathead, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    I am thinking about buying the BP 100 Fishman transducer for my upright bass. A preamp is recommended. Does anyone here think it's possible to use a compact mixer such as the Behringer UB 502 5 channel mixer for a preamp? I am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing, but the mixer is about half the price of a preamp. Plus, I could run my electric bass through one of the channels and when I change basses for different songs it would already be hooked up and ready to go. All I would have to do is turn the volume down on the upright, lay it down, grab the electric and turn it up. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The preamp is needed for impedance matching. The mixer in question has an input impedance of 50 ohms balanced or around 4-10K on the line in. Ideally you want something with an input impedance in the megohms for the piezo Fishman transducer.

3. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Thanks, mje for your reply. You "learned' me something I didn't know. I think I will go ahead and get the pickup, and if I'm not satisfied with the sound I get in my bass amp I will go ahead and spring the bucks for a preamp. Thanks again.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, he's a useful guy to have around, isn't he? His nickname isn't e=mj2 for nothing. I've always admired people who understand electronic techie stuff..... it always sounds like gibberish to me.

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

You might want to look into a Raven Labs MDB1; a three ch. mixer/DI/Buffer amp which has three discrete channels (each with indiv. level and mutes) a 10 megohm input impedence on ach (a VERY good match for the Fishman transducer), a side chain aux loop, ans a very high quality DI.
    It could set your URB up nicely, and allow you to trade off with electrics w/o unplugging or changing levels.
    Very high quality.....[ristine sound and dead quiet.

Max

6. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Yep......definately useful. That sounds great, Max. I'll be checking that out soon. I really appreciate this forum and the help I have gotten from you fellers...thanks!

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    My pal Ric has the BP-100 on his (I think) Christopher, and he tells me the new Fishman bass preamp works very well with it.

8. I've had a BP-100 for a loooong time. Initially I tried going without a preamp...always a hassle getting the sound you want. I quickly got a fishman preamp (I think it is the old "B") ...fixed all the problems: fixed the impedence mismatch, gave me control over my volumn and sound, and clips on my hip or on a music stand.

Get a preamp.