complementing soloist

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maxy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    In jazz i hear a lot about complementing the soloist through the walking bass lines.

I dont understand.

What i know is when i compose if the soloist is doing a third interval i can do it else where on the fretboard and it fits in quite well.

how do i know in jazz imporv. where the soloist going to go
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are lots of ways you can do this - but the simplest to understand are in terms of dynamics and rhythm.

So - a soloist may start a solo very sparsely and quietly - then it may be deemed "sensitive" - to play more quietly yourself and build with the soloist. So - you might want less volume for a quiet, reflective piano solo than for a tenor sax player who is blaring out at high intensity!! ;)

As to rhythm - a soloist may suggest they are hearing a 2-feel rather than 4 to the bar - or they may suggest a double time feel - or they may take a song that starts with a Latin beat, into swing - they may even throw in bars in different time signatures - I've seen/heard this happen - moving to bars of 3/4 in a piece that was 4/4!

The possibilities are endless - that's what makes live Jazz so much fun!! ;)

But basically it's just about listening and being sensitive to what's going on, rather than ploughing your own furrow regardless!!