1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

complementing soloist

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maxy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    In jazz i hear a lot about complementing the soloist through the walking bass lines.

I dont understand.

What i know is ...like when i compose if the soloist is doing a third interval i can do it else where on the fretboard and it fits in quite well.

how do i know in jazz imporv. where the soloist going to go

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are lots of ways you can do this - but the simplest to understand are in terms of dynamics and rhythm.

So - a soloist may start a solo very sparsely and quietly - then it may be deemed "sensitive" - to play more quietly yourself and build with the soloist. So - you might want less volume for a quiet, reflective piano solo than for a tenor sax player who is blaring out at high intensity!! ;)

As to rhythm - a soloist may suggest they are hearing a 2-feel rather than 4 to the bar - or they may suggest a double time feel - or they may take a song that starts with a Latin beat, into swing - they may even throw in bars in different time signatures - I've seen/heard this happen - moving to bars of 3/4 in a piece that was 4/4!

The possibilities are endless - that's what makes live Jazz so much fun!! ;)

But basically it's just about listening and being sensitive to what's going on, rather than ploughing your own furrow regardless!!