1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Compression driver w/ custom horn vs. voice coil tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin W, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Rockin W

Rockin W

Mar 8, 2018
    I'm comparing two different Markbass cabs, both 1 x 15. Being unfamiliar with the terminology, I can use some good advice. The Standard 151HR has a "compression driver with custom horn," whereas the New York 151 RJ has a "voice coil tweeter." What are the differences between the two, and would one be more desirable than the other?

2. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Welcome to TB!

More so than the type of horn (both are probably the same) for me - and this is specific to Markbass - is the availability to replace it should it ever fail. I ran across an Italian made 410 from Markbass that had a blown high frequency driver and I couldn't source a replacement diaphragm. A Fostex diaphragm can be had online for very cheap, but not this one.

Regarding HF drivers in general, compression drivers are better than piezo ones IMO - and they do have voice coils in them, which is why I suspect they are identical.

Raz