1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor after monitors

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ROGI, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    Hi folks,
    I've been doing some thinking about live setup. Thing is that i want to hear flat bass sound (bypass) in monitors (IEM) and get the sound that goes to PA trimmed with compresor. that way i should be more aware of my playing (not digging in too hard) and force myself to play with lighter touch without hearing the compressed/limited sound. That should imho force me to improve my playing but clear any peaks that i make.

Am i right with this approach? Will this help me in any way get better sound, and not dig in too hard?

thnx

2. Technically this can be done. I am assuming that you are getting an IEM feed from the desk. One way to do it would be to use something like the Rolls personal monitor Amp, plug the output from your amp/pedal board into the Rolls and then send the bass signal to the desk. Then have the desk send you a mix without any bass back to the rolls IEM amp and adjust bass volume to taste from the Rolls.

As to whether this is desirable or not, frankly I am not sure.

3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You don't [generally] want to monitor a compressed sound as it kills dynamics. On the flip side, the entire mix needs to have a limiter between the source and your ears... to prevent damage.
    What console are you using?
    Yes, you could do it they way @Wadge suggested.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Do you have a full time sound guy ? If so then he can monitor the comp on your channel and adjust it if you are driving it too hard.. If you don't have that guy then I would think you'd want to monitor the compressed signal so that at least you can hear what the compressor is doing...

You might also think in terms of limiting as opposed to compression. Do you really need make up gain ? Or do you just want to control the peaks, in which case a limiter might be a better choice.

5. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    IMO, if you're not using compression as part of "your sound", let the FOH engineer apply it in the mix as he sees fit. Most digital AND analog mixers, by default, provide a monitor mix that is pre-everything (taken right after the preamp on the console) so you're not hearing the comp if they are using one. If you use a pedal/rack compressor as part of your tone, I'd think you'd want to hear it in your ears so you know what you're feeding FOH. You might be trying to solve a problem that isn't even there, but unless we know what your typical FOH/PA arrangement is we can't be sure.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd rather have my in-ear sound be closer to what i sound like out front, so that my pickup selection/FX/playing touch choices have a better chance of sounding like they should for the song.

i always go on about not having vocal compression in monitor mixes, but that's a different thing.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    lots of different opinions, this is interesting :)

thnx! :)