Compressor first or second in chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Dec 21, 2004.

1. I am waiting the arrival of the Aphex Punch Factory compressor as well as the Bass Exciter both floor pedals and both new from Aphex.

My question is should i connect the bass guitar first to the compressor and then secondly to the Bass Exciter and then to the Bass amp input or should i connect the Bass Exciter first in front of the compressor ??

I have always believed that compressors should go first in the chain of effects before the amp input ??

Please help if you know whats best, any guys use them as well ??
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Exciter after Compressor.

Aphex Punch Factory -> Bass Exciter -> Input

the Exciter, much like a BBE,
    goes after compression.

3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    In general, I prefer placing the compressor first... I've tried it at several places in the chain, and have always come back to first, as (not surprisingly) it squashes the sound of pedals such as distortion and envelopes if you place it after them.
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Which is why if there is anything that one might want to put BEFORE a compressor, it would be an envelope filter. If you put the compressor before an envelope filter, there may not be enough 'envelope' left in your bass signal to properly control the filter the way you want it to.

5. Ive just had a reply from Aphex and they agree that it should be Compressor (Punch Factory ) then Bass Exciter then amp input. Rock on dudes
  6. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I toally agree with this. Also, some envelope filters are so broad and severe in their range that they can potentially damage your speakers at high volumes. I use a compressor/Limiter to protect my speakers when I'm using one. My FX25 comes to mind regarding this phenomenon.