1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compressor for sousaphone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JamesDC, Oct 23, 2013.

1. JamesDC

JamesDC

Sep 26, 2013
    What specs should I pay attention to when adding compression for my bass horn?

Looking at aguilar and markbass compressore

Pretty much need to tighten lows, thicken mids and keep my highs from peaking....except when i want them to.

Being able to play D and below and have it sound like a gut punching kick drum instead of a big wet bass blanket would be awesome.

2. pietrocefa

pietrocefa

May 3, 2011
    Diamond for sure, I use it for my uprigth with a microphone close to the F hole, works great.

3. JamesDC

JamesDC

Sep 26, 2013
    It looked good.

What kind of mic you use?

4. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Sounds like you want adjustable attack and release settings. Compressore will do it. Plenty of others also. You want to adjust the attack so that your initial peak is let through unchanged, but the compressor then clamps right after. Letting the first part through will give you that punch you want. Adjust the release to taste, I like short releases to get a pumping (hah!) sound on some things but for smooth playing a longer release will probably work better.

5. JamesDC

JamesDC

Sep 26, 2013
    Bingo. Short releases for me too..i guess...Im a throbber me -and sustain isnt an issue on a horn, I need the shape to be even and the center strong like pluck. Need more bacon for my fat.

Thanks.

6. pietrocefa

pietrocefa

May 3, 2011
    Diamond for sure, I use it for my uprigth with a microphone close to the F hole, works great.