Compressor Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fastplant, Jul 14, 2004.

1. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Ok, I just realized how bad my compression on my amp is and that since I go DI into the PA the compression isn't picked up anyway. Well, I had one of these lying around and it definitely helps but it sucks my tone like crazy. What compressor pedal would you guys suggest that would keep my tone pretty consistant but compresses well also?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The basscompactor sounds good and is fairly cheap.
  3. Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've got an old MXR limiter, it's pretty transparent. Just a limiter though, not full compression.
  4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  5. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I bought a Keeley Compressor and I think it's great!
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Is it a pedal? I need it in a pedal format.
  7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You should search a bit, there are people that really hate the tech21 and people that really hate the keely. that or buy it from a place with a good return policy.
  8. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    True, I actually have a decent compressor in my studio that's rack mount, but I kond of want to steer clear of rack because I'll have to run wires all crazy for the DI, but I'll see how that works for now, but I'm gonna check out both of those, thanks guys
  9. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I absolutely agree about the Boss unit . I needed a comp and had to bring back the ME50B because the compressor was too much for me. I got the Digitech Bass Squeeze Pedal and I'm very happy with the job it does. And at that price with a $20 rebate they have now, it's hard to beat for the price.
  10. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    If you are looking for a limiting effect, the Boss LMB-3 is a good pedal. I didn't like any of the compressors or the limiter on the ME-50b except the "natural" setting . Even this was too much if turned up. I am getting rid of mine too and sticking with the LMB-3 to tighten up my B string and even things out a little. I like the Art levelar box ($50 on Ebay) it works well in compressor and limiter mode as well as giving a nice boost through it's tube. Its not bullet proof (because of the tube) but it's a nice unit. The optical compressor on my Fishman Pro DI works well but will also suck tone if pushed up more than 9 oclock.
  11. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Well, I took my rack compressor from my studio board and stuck it in my rack. It's a Presonus, and a pretty nice unit. It's a compressor/gate/limiter, and it worked wonders. I had to plug my bass into the back of it so that it would go through the DI correctly. But once I tuned it the way I liked it, it was sounding awesome. The sound guy said that it was one of the best bass tones he's heard. I'm now the closest I've been to the "sound" that I've been trying to get since I started playing bass. It doesn't help that I'm super critical, but it does help my tone, hehe.
  12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    For around $100 I'd go for a Dbx Rack Unit
  13. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002

I tried the DBX (I have both) and the presonus was so much better, it's also a $400 unit.
  14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I 2nd that emotion. I have 2, one for recording and live. It helps a lot with the passive basses.
  15. jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
  16. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Another vote for the tech21- Makes me sound almost good!!! :ninja:
  17. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yep, Tech21 here as well. just found out that they dont make them anymore though.

18. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Demeter COMP-1 Compulator.
  19. I was thinking of getting the LMB-3 for either a regular limiter OR using it as a clean boost for solos and louder passages. Any comments from anyone using it as a clean boost?