Compressor pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bottomdweller70, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Can anyone recommend a quality compression pedal?
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I can't recommend a pedal as any of them I've tried I didn't like. I can recommend the PreSonus BlueMax Compressor. It's a 1/2 space unit with both manual and preset settings. I like the preset myself.
  3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I like the Aphex Punch Factory, but if you try doing a search you'll find a LOT of opinion on this topic.
  4. I also like the punch Factory works well live
  5. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I am glad to hear good things on the bluemax, I just picked one up on ebay can't wait to get it!! I will be using it with a combo though and I'll have to set it on top. I need to figure out a good way to secure it. The combo is carpeted so two sided tape is out and I really don't want to ruin the carpeting with velcro. I think pulling velcro on and off would really do a number on it and ruin it for resale down the road. Any sugestions??

(sorry to Hijack your thread) :meh: :bag:
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what's your budget?
    My favorite is the EBS MultiComp
    If you do a search you'll find lots of prior discussion on compressor pedals, there's a lot out there: demeter, ehx, digitech etc
  7. +1 Aphex Punch Factory :bassist:
  8. Is there a whole lot of difference between a rackmount and a pedal in terms of sound and quality?
  9. I use my Aphex floor pedal on a little effects board which i made that sits on top of my amp. The compressor is on all the time im playing so no need to have it on the floor where accidents can happen. I also have the Aphex bass Exciter and my Korg dt10 tuner on the board and a 9vdc power pack all neatly out of the way.
    To tune up i use my hand to turn the korg on , the Bass Exciter is on on the time as well.

10. This is also a DI as well right? Can you only use the compressor function on this unit?
  11. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

The Aphex Punch Factory is a very nice comp pedal. Sonically, it is quite different from VCA fed compressors like the blue max or even the RNC. It uses a photo optic cell to control the compression, much like the old vintage rack comps from days of yore. It is quite transparent, and one of the few pedal which does not kill your tone (it does have true bypass as well). Evne at extreme settings it reamins very smooth and musical. I have used one for about a year now and have been quite pleased...but I recently replaced it with a new Demeter Compulator, so it is for sale (if yer interested...).

FWIW: I have quite afew compressors in my collection (Universal Audio LA2A, Manley, Avalon, TL Audio, JoeMeek,Retrospec SqueezeBox, Tech 21 Bass Compactor, which is also for sale, Demeter and the Aphex). I have searched for a while to find a decent pedal type compresor to use live so I would not have to add another rack space or take out one of these ridiculoulsly expensive and fragile (Manley, Avalon, TL, UA) or rare (retrospec) comps on gigs. The Aphex really filled all criterea with flying colors. In the same "league" I suppose would be the EBS pedal, which is also quite nice, although I prefer the overall response found in optical compressors as opposed to VCAs. That being said, The Demeter Compulator is IMHO the best pedal-type compressor I have tried.

12. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Has anyone here ever had a chance to compare the EBS MultiComp and the EHX Black Finger?

If so... What did you think of them? Do they sound similar or are they quite different? And which one did you like better?

[Edit] I'd also like to hear about the Demeter Compulator if anyone has compared it with either of these two. :)
  13. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    You can use it as a straght DI also.
  14. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Ya, I had the Blackfinger. The first one I got was a squealing lemon, returned it for another. The second one worked properly, but I was underwhelmed by the sound quality (noise) and the build quality. Sold it. Granted, I did'nt try it with vint tubes tho, so....

I had much better results with the Guyatone Flip Series tube comp. Very smooth, impressive. Discontinued model.

I have a Compulator, which is really nice. Never tried the EBS, but have been through a lot of the other usual suspects. I keep coming back to my Boss CS-1, which I've been using forever.

The Analogman BiComp looks intriguing tho....
  15. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    another vote for the aphex, although the BBE OptoStomp seems intrigueing
  16. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use an old ART Levelar compressor. It has a tube preamp thing built into it and warms up your sound a little once it gets going. Controls are a little counterintuitive... I had to download a manual to set it up right. I havent tried the Aphex.
  17. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    universal audio 1176!
  18. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Now you're talking! When UA puts it in a pedal for $150 I'll have one! ;)
  19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown has a new compressor pedal coming out. It's essentially a rerelease of the old Trace Elliot compressor. It allows you to compress the high and low signal seperately and then mix them. Very cool.
  20. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

That should be worth a try.

I feel fresh pedal GAS forming already!