Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compressor setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Whitebread, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Hello, I've recently purchased a Behringer mdx 2600 compressor and am in way over my head trying to set it up. My only previous experience with a compressor was the built in one on my old hartke head (one knob, 1-10).

I primarily just want to even out my volume during live performances while colouring the tone as little as possible. I would appreciate any tips on setting the controls.

2. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    help? anyone?

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    SUGGESTED SETTINGS:
    Behringer Composer 2200 & 2600

for BASS GUITAR in a Live Rig.

Daisy Chain both halves of the Stereo Compressor
    by patching channel one output into channel two input.

Bass -> Preamp -> FX Send ->
    MDX Channel 1 Input -> Channel 1 Output -> Channel 2 Input -> Channel 2 Output -> FX Return.

The Following Functions SET the same on BOTH CHANNELS

Set both rear panel level switchs to -10 dbV.
    COUPLE: Set to DUAL MONO Not Stereo
    SC EXT: OFF
    SC MON: OFF
    AUTO: OFF *
    I/O METER: OUT (measure Output signal: button light is off)
    IN/OUT: IN (Compressor is on: button light is on)
    INTERACTIVE (Knee): ON
    High Pass Filter = MDX 2200: SC FILTER: ON / MDX 2600: LO CONTOUR: ON
    Expander/Gates =
    MDX 2200: Slow Release. Threshold: 50 and Ratio: 3.5
    MDX 2600: Long Release. Gate ON. Trigger @ -30 (at 10:00).

The Following Functions (if employed) should be used on Channel 2 Only

MDX 2600 Only: Tube
    Later MDX Models Only: De-esser - play with this for best sound.
    Later MDX Models Only: Dynamic Enhancer
    If in doubt, or if HISS is present leave it out (off).

Channel 1:

Threshold: -10db, 12:00
    Ratio 4:1, 12:00
    Attack: 8:00
    Release: 10:00
    Output: 1:30
    Set Peak Limiter (+16-18 db)...

Channel 2:

Threshold: 0db, 2:00
    Ratio 6:1, 2:00
    Attack: 7:00
    Release: 10:00
    Output: 1:30
    Set Peak Limiter (+16-18 db)...

------The Theory Behind The Madness------

Channel 1's has Classic Bass compressor settings.
    The magic is that Channel 1 gives Channel 2 a hotter signal
    while maintaining dynamics and thus raises the headroom seen
    at Channel 2 (1 gives 2 an additional Gain Stage)
    Then Channel 2 re-compresses only the Peaks
    that have been processed and boosted by Channel 1
    thus Channel 2's Output provides a level, hotter signal.

The noise floor is lowered as high energy peaks are tamed, not limited,
    for excreasing headroom without over compressing the dynamic signal.

Pro Tip:
    Did you know that Behringers XLR & 1/4" outputs are both hot?
    You can tap an XLR out to give a Hot Signal out
    while the 1/4" jack still providing signal to Amp.
    Handy to know if you need a Compressed Hot D.I. Out

4. BennyMetal

BennyMetal

Nov 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I just set up my mdx 2200 with these settings & it sounds really good. However, I noticed when I put my master up to about 5 my limiter started kicking in. Any ideas? Thanks for the tips!

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Limiter on what?

Please elaborate.

6. BennyMetal

BennyMetal

Nov 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I am running an Ampeg SVT 350. The peak LED is set to just flicker when I play really hard. I am also using the -db pad. The limit light starts coming on when the master volume reaches 5.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've found the best amp performance with the peak flash just at 12:00 Master Volume.

Back off the Compressor 2nd channel output
    and you can bump up the Master Volume on the amp.

However, this may not give you more volume.

I don't know a thing about the mosfet Ampeg SVT 350;

8. martijn_2m

martijn_2m

Aug 23, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hello all, I just wanted to say thanks for the tips. I got me a Behringer AUTOCOM PRO-XL MDX1600 today for in my bass rig (also for home recording of drums/keys/guitar).

It is the same as the Composer Pro XL MDX 2600 except 2 things:

1) the dynamic enhancer can be manually set, and the de-esser is automatic (if engaged). This is the other way around from the MDX 2600.
    2) there is no tube warmt simulator. I don't need this as I have a very good tube pre-amp in my SWR Bass 350 already.

I used the settings as suggested bij Finger Blister, and it worked great ! Many thanks for that FB !!

(Of course I had to some minor tuning of the levels, since I had a pretty hot singal coming IN from my preamp in the SWR Bass 350).

One thing I found (ok, I only used it once, tonight, during rehearsal, with only 10 mins of setup/test time alone) is that I had noise coming from the unit with the gate on! At the levels just above threshhold I heard some hiss. This ofcourse didn't fall well with me, as the rest of my setup is very clean sounding. After I turned of the gate/expander .. no more noise .. Any of you have the same experience ? Next sunday I will be experimenting with it some more .. I'll post any amazing discoveries then.

9. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Sorry for the bump, but I have a question for Finger Blister - in your settings, which seem to work well, you have a * next to the AUTO switch setting. Is this to denote that one should try this switch to taste or that mileage may vary with this on?

Thanks for the awesome post, this is great stuff.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just FYI, Finger Blister hasn't been here since October '05. :) And I'd be willing to bet he just copy-pasted that suggested setting from the manual. Do you have the manual for yours?

11. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Thanks for the update on Finger Blister. Nope, that's not from the manual. I haven't been able to figure out where he copy/pasted that from, so I'll just use these as a reference and test from there...

12. I've seen that same info, or some very close to it, in a number of posts and other sites around the web. Who knows who the original author was.

But it's not in the manual.

Sure wish bongomania a.k.a the "compressor guru" would've tried out one of those Behringer rack compressors instead of just dismissing them as not worth the trouble...:)

I'd like to know how it stacks up in the opinion of someone who has spent WAY too much time and money playing with compressors!

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Haha... You're right, actually, and I have decided I will buy one of those Behringer racks just so I can give an informed, non-dismissive opinion. Which model is most popular, or most likely to be bought for a bass rack?

14. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I've just switched from an MDX2200 (older model) to an MDX1600 in order to try out the "dynamic enhancer" functions. Either the MDX1600 or MDX2200 is going to be useful to try out. Both are very similar excepting a few functions.

15. I have no experience or data to back it up...

...but my gut tells me the compressor section is the same on all those Behringer models and the differences are whether it has an expander or limiter or enhancer or de-esser, etc added on.

16. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    You're right on, actually. The MDX2600 removes the variable 'enhancer' and adds a variable de-esser and a tube emulation circuit. Otherwise the chipsets are identical. Oh, and the MDX2600 expands the expander/gate control to allow for both threshold and ration control, rather than the single knob on the MDX1600 (the 1600's control seeming limited but works fairly well).

The MDX4600 is a simplified, 4-channel version of both.

17. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    As a follow-up in case anyone with a behringer compressor follows this thread as I did, the settings put forth at the top created some serious line level overload when I switched from my Bass collection @ home to my Washburn (passive pups) at practice. I had to do some quick on-the-spot fixing to dial out the distortion and have abandoned this config for my previous, more musical config with less agressive settings.

Also, the 'Auto' switch is your friend if you wanna kill the pumping.

18. Abyssdrown

Abyssdrown

Jan 26, 2008
    Portugal
    my doubt here is if the release button should be in or out?

Please explain this setting as my mdx 2600 doesn't show any -18 indication

Thanx

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    That TB'er hasn't been here in three years. :) I don't know whether long release is with the button switched in or out, but I can tell you +16-18 was meant as "from +16 to +18".

20. Abyssdrown

Abyssdrown

Jan 26, 2008
    Portugal

Thanks man, i'll try to find it in the manual.

By the way nice dog you have there ;)