1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Compressor with Mackie Profx 12

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Apr 3, 2013.

1. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Hello, I have just purchased a Mackie ProFX12 mixer to go along with our Mackie mains and sub. I have a question regarding adding a compressor to the mixer. I want to add the DBX 2 channel compressor to the WHOLE mix not just an insert on one channel. How do I go about this?

I seen a hook up diagram in the manual and it says to add a compressor between the mixer and main speakers, so for this to work I would need 4 xlr cables and both channels on the compressor is this correct??

Or is there a better way to do it?

Hope this makes sense, many thanks

Jack

2. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    The ProFX12 does not have insert points on the main mix, so yes, your best bet is running the main outs of the ProFX12 to the inputs of the DBX and the from the outputs of the DBX to the mains and sub (does the sub have an internal crossover?).

You are correct, this requires 4 xlr cables, and both channels on the comp.

3. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Many thanks, so running it between the mixer and speakers with both channels is the best way!

Yes the mains and sub have a build in auto crossover!

I take it both channels on the compressor have to be identical??(i just want to use a touch compression anyway!)

4. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    I am guessing you are using a 266XS or 166XS.
    When running the comp stereo, you can enable "Stereo Couple" (the button in the middle).
    This makes channel 1 the "master" and channel 2 will copy the parameters from channel 1. Channel 2's controls will be disabled.

5. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Jun 16, 2007
    Ahh I see, thats great! Yes I am using the DBX 266lx. I will use the stereo button!

Many thanks for ur help!