1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Computer help c drive to d drive

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by J Sudjian, Mar 30, 2015.

1. J Sudjian

J Sudjian

Nov 21, 2011
    Hey forgot about the off topic lounge.

I built my computer and it's got a 120 ssd and a huge d drive for now.

C drive is win 7 pro os and some other stuff but it's almost full.

In lamens terms,kind of, will things just start going to d drive,I doubt, or what do I need to do?

Thanks

Jason

2. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Your C drive is full of what?

If it's applications, you'd need to uninstall them and install again on the D drive.

If it's pictures and downloads and music, you just need to move them from C to D manually. That is easy but you gotta tell us what is it before we can help you further.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Once the C drive fills up your data is not going to just magically start spilling over to the D drive. Computers are not that smart...

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Some of them are. The ones with a fruit on them.

System disk should be reserved for your system and the most demanding applications.
    It needs as much space as possible.

Documents and install files you can move toward D.
    If you use Steam, you can move the whole directory (which is usually enormous) straight toward D: and it will adapt once you start it again.

5. J Sudjian

J Sudjian

Nov 21, 2011
    I think it's just files for my hardware and such mostly and iTunes seems to want to stay put. Maybe 30 albums. Keep in mind it's only a 120 ssd drive. I'll have to take a screen shot of the files later.

6. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    On iTunes, you need to go into preferences and change the default music folder. There is an option to automatically move iTunes media files to the default folder. If you have this option clicked and the default folder is on the C drive, iTunes will keep moving your files back when you move them to D. At least this is how it used to be.

7. Not to hijack, but I think its still in the same vein as the ops question.

I have a 1tb hdd in my computer that I built it with. I've been wanting to install a new ssd for my os and other important files. My question is, is there a way to clone just my os and all the associated files to the new drive in a fairly painless manner and without having to pretty much reinstall everything? Cause honestly if not, I'd rather just get another massive HDD for storage and forego the ssd altogether.

Thanks.

8. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Not without a lot of work. If you could remove all your media (or whatever is taking up all that space) from your 1tb hdd temporarily and get the used size down to what can fit on an SSD, you could shrink this partition to the SSD's size and clone it to the ssd. Then you could wipe the hdd clean and put all the media stuff back on it. I've done this on Linux and cannot imagine a reason why it wouldn't be possible on Windows too.

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No, move everything but the operating system to d. Then every time you save, edit, download or create a file have the computer save it to D. The system will start saving to D drive for you after the first time you save that type of file there, e.g. after you save your first *.txt file to D, the computer will save all future *.txt files to D as the default location.

Games maybe uncooperative, depends on how they were written.

10. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    If it's Windows, after you shrink it like he said above, you could use 'Image' software to clone your c drive, then restore it to the ssd. Install a d drive and set your new data file defaults to go to the d drive.
    Programs like ProTools with plugins and add-ons, don't alway work when you install to places other than c:\program Files\ (C:\programdata\, \Users etc, c:\program files(x86)) . There are things in the registry that think they know where the installation was, you can 'fix' all those but it takes alot of work. In all my systems, I have a C: (system drive), a D: drive (apps\downloads) and an E: drive (data/isofiles/ProTools). These are physical drives not logical partitions. There are alot of programs that don't ask where to install so there's is still alot of stuff on the C: drive, but I can do a system restore, or just toast my OS (which windows needs about once a year). After that I just re-install or relink the applications from the D: drive. I would keep the original drive as a backup (for things that just go missin...). If you do alter your setup, re-clone it after you get the disks set up the way you like it.

11. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Your c drive might be full of install files/temporary files that can be deleted.
    One thing to start with is to use the Disk Cleanup utility.
    Then, the other thing is go into your c:/Windows/Temp and just start blowing away files.

12. J Sudjian

J Sudjian

Nov 21, 2011
    Well I started to get things under control. Also figured out how to move iTunes to the d drive without killing anyone..

See since I built this one I've been trying to be careful not to crap it up.

I wonder how much space windows 7 pro 64 and Microsoft office take up.

Thanks everyone.

I'm sure their are a few more things I can get off the c drive, but I'm always sketchy it's a part of something bigger.