Computer? Or Mic?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Hi im fairly new to this forum and was in the need of some advice,

Im begining to get into recording my bass for some of my friends and own pleasure, but i plan on going into audio engineering degree next year, i was wondering if i could get you guys to give me some feedback on the situation.

I have a slightly above average computer and have the money to set it up to record with guitar rig going on through the line in, or i can save up and buy the amp and pedal i want and do it via mic into the pc.

What do you see as the best option?

So ....

Your thoughts and adice im sure will be very helpfull.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Don't use the mic input or your computer's standard line in. It will suck.

Look for cheap but quality sound cards that track more than one track at a time. For instance, look at M-Audio's Delta 44. With something like this you could go direct and mike a cab at the same time. I would look at this as the optimum method. Just don't bother micing the cabinet if you don't have a high quality bass/amp/cabinet/mike.

With the direct signal, be sure to use a direct box (DI) or mixer or preamp or something to get the line signal level up.
  3. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Well i dont have a cabnet i only have a RBW300 laney combo, bass however is of good quality a Cort A4 (getting A5 soon) my sound card is an ok one (audigy LS) and im willing to buy good mike.

I was thinking of buying a pedal, not an effects pedal as much, just something that i could shape my tone more then i am now but Do any DIs allow such a thing?

Buy the sound of it so far i should purchase a preamp, or pedal with some sort of preamp, and go into my computer with some good software.