1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Concentration..

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    do you ever find it hard to shut off extraneous elements (people in the audience, the hall, a talkative orchestra member, even a slight difference in bowing within the section) when concentrating on playing or even worse, during long pauses? What strategies to you employ against this?

Regards to all

2. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Don't you just find one cute girl in the audience to look at all night?

Supadope and neilG like this.
  3. Life in an orchestra is a job of a thousand pin pricks. As a rank-and-file (Tutti) bass player there is a lot that you have little control over. Just being there is a privilege and mostly (believe-it-or-not) deeply satisfying. I suggest learning a simple form of (off-stage) meditation which should help reduce the impact of these external distractions and steady up the flow of incoming information as you play. It helped me a lot as I was developing.

Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2020, and keep those questions coming!

4. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Nah...bass might get jealous!! ;-)

5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I have the advantage of sitting near the edge of the stage, so this happens, but not often enough. But seriously, unless a tympani explodes or someone in the audience screams, it's difficult to be thrown off. It's just years of practice. Learning to maintain focus is an acquired skill.

Tyler L and Wasnex like this.
  6. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Never. But then if there is an opposite to attention-deficit disorder, I might have it.

When I'm playing, there is nothing more important than playing.