Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concerned about sharing backline

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by andruca, Sep 17, 2004.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi everybody!

I've been living in Madrid (Spain) for a year now and my band's sharing gigs with some other bands. The thing is allways my bass rig's the best among us so everybody always gives for granted I'm bringing my rig. Ok, no problem with that, but hey, if my equipment gets severely broken or stolen I probably won't be economically capable of replacing it (maybe I could, but that could probably cost my marriage, ok?). So, the thing is, what are the usual deals on sharing backline. We usually do the "you take the drums, I take the guitar amp and you take the bass amp" deal, and it's ok, BUT my bass rig always gets involved in these deals. There's also a couple of unhappy stories about my amp/speaker being ****ed up by other bands (my previous rig) so I'm concerned. On the other hand, I'm in a "hostage situation" at this point. As an example, on a couple of gigs in the last two months I decided to only take my amp if each band put 30 EUR (to make myself a fund for eventual future repairs/replaces). But the result was no one wanting to pay anything and me (all of us bassists, in fact) sounding like **** (and quieter than the Peavey TKO80 I use at home) through someone else's amp that sucked big time (when each band could resign 30EUR of our pay for a definitely better sounding and louder amp). So, if I use a ****ty rig, then I regret it a lot. Because, despite I care a lot about tone, in these cases I would definitely be satisfied just to hear myself onstage!!!

Back a year now I lived in Argentina and my band there gigged a lot with bigger bands that didn't let their equipment for anybody so I always had to use my rig and very few times I shared it (also with rather pro bands). The situation has changed and now I sometimes have to share it with much less experienced bands whom I don't know and won't absolutely take resposibility in case of damage.

Tell me your experiences and give me ideas. Any point of view is appreciated. Thak you so much.

ANDRUCA

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's your rig and so you get to make the rules (although if you get too restrictive you may end as a solo bassist ;) ). I haven't had to share my rig too often but, when I do, I make a point of talking to the other bassist(s) as soon as possible. I'm not happy about the controls being turned up past 3 o'clock or about the input meter going into the red zone for more than an occasional flicker and I'll reserve the right to get up on stage and turn the amp down if either of those rules are broken. Likewise, no drinks on top of it or anywhere near the plug.

In fact, if possible, I make these rules clear before the gig - if someone isn't happy with that, they can provide their own equipment. I'm not so desperate to play that I'm willing to let myself or my equipment be abused.

Likewise, if I'm borrowing someone elses amp, I'll find out their parameters well in advance and stay within them. It's all about respect.

Wulf

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I got this idea from Frank Zappa. I noticed that on his amp head (a Carvin at that time with dial controls like a Marshall) that he had a piece of masking tape over the length of the dials. On it was the number that each dial should be set at. I do this as a reminder where to set things if they get changed. If my bass rig is used on a multi-band bill, I put another piece of tape over the controls to prevent aspiring tonemeisters from changing things.

That is my only rule...don't touch any of the controls.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    it's your rig and that's it. period!

:)

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I hate to be this way, but I'm a total hypocrite on this issue... I will use an available rig in a heartbeat, but I am very reluctant to allow someone to use mine. I dislike the inconsistency, but it's what my 'real world' experiences have dictated I do.

:meh:

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'll use donk's rig but that's it......that's were i draw the line!!!!

;)

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey, knowing what's in your rig right now, you're lucky you're on the list of people who I wouldn't think twice about letting use it!

;) :p :D

8. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska

Whole heartedly agree

9. I don't have a problem with letting people I know use my stuff. The musicians that I'm friends with in our "scene" are respectful enough that if they broke anything they'd pay for it. On the other hand I don't appreciate not being asked ahead of time- just a courtesy thing.

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Sure I let people I know use my amp, of course. The problem comes with people I don't know and they have no commitment with the responsible use of my amp. Thanks everybody for the good ideas. I might make some rules (as an example, no one can use the graphic EQ, no one can move the pre and master gains further than I do, etc.). Take care...

ANDRUCA

11. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I don't loan it out because I don't want to have to enforce those rules that will surely be stretched. I do not want to look up onstage to see beers on top of the amp, hear it about to blow a speaker, etc and then be stuck not wanting to wreck the party but not wanting my poopie getting ruined.

12. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    only a chosen few are allowed to play through my amp at these deals. Same goes when there is a "doner rig"...I'm bringing my own rig.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I don't loan gear out other than cables. it makes you wonder why they can't use their own gear... oh that's right they broke it and there's a good chance they are careless and will break your gear too...

14. Yeah, it's pretty simple.

While it's kinda nice and efficient not to have 3 bass amps at every gig, it shouldn't be your responsibility just cause you're the one who cared enough to buy a nice rig.

Your payment idea was solid. Make it like, 10EUR, and they have to follow the rules. If they wont, bring your rig, but make it clear it's only for you. Maybe they'll change their tune (and realise you're not being an @$$hole, they are)

15. I don't allow anyone I don't know to use my rig. Likewise, with only one exception, I haven't and won't use someone's rig. I always bring my amp and both cabs and I always use them. I've been approached about leaving my rig onstage, but I politely decline and haven't had many issues. I had one promoter who confronted me about it and I quoted him a very reasonable $200 rental fee if he'd sign a waiver assuming all responsibility for damage or failure. He wasn't willing to agree to those terms.

If you are a bass player and you have a show to play, bring everything that you need to do that and don't assume that since someone told you there would be an amp available, that you don't have to bring one. It's that simple.

Moley13 likes this.
  16. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    check this one out- other band on the bill last night asked about using my rig well ahead of time (5 days) to which I replied no thank you I'm not loaning out my rig for this show. Last night, we play our set, I'm packed up and about to start hauling out to the car and the other bass player comes up and introduces himself and says, "So its cool if I use your rig? " I couldn't believe it. There was a house bass cab. I let him use my GK head, and stayed till the end of the show to get it back.
    Who shows up to play with no amp? I don't count on anyone to bring anything for me, especially not the critical piece of gear for your music to be heard!

Moley13 likes this.