Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concerning Bartolini CBJD series.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by e p, Jan 29, 2006.

1. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I have a few questions regarding the bartolini CBJD series of pickups (9CBJS,9CBJD1,9CBJD3) so I guess Ill organize them:

1. 9CBJD1 are described as "deep." 9CBJD3 are described as "bright." How big are the differences in sound between these two? And are they described as "bright" simply because their lack in bass (and vice-versa)?

2. How do the 9CBJD1 and CBJD3 sets sound?

3. How does the 9CBJS set sound? Are they pretty quiet?

2. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
  3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I had emailed Brian at Bestbassgear.com asking about those pickups for a passive bass and told him I wanted an aggressive sound that can cut through playing with rock guitars. He said that the 9CBJD-1's are the best sounding Bart J's in his opinion, and that if I wanted to go on the brighter side, the -3 would be the best choice.

From my searches I had found a few comments from people who loved them, and Lukinfur gave them a pretty decent review in his Dr DIMENTO'S ONGOING "J" STYLE PUP EXPERIMENT (found in: Read first: PICKUPS FAQ - Please read before posting)

I have the 9CBJD-1 set sitting in the box ready to be installed into the bass I haven't started building yet. If you can wait about 6 months, I might be able to tell you more about them :D

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I've got the 9CBJD-1's in an alder/rosewood bass with a spalted maple top. Unplugged, the bass sounds crisp and clean; very punchy midrange. Plugged in? The thing is HUGE with deep bass and a good mix of modern and vintage tones. They are clean pups. You won't get that 'dirty' vintage tone from them, yet they aren't completely modern either. Kind of a tweener.
    Wherever I play the bass it gets a lot of compliments. :D

I've also got the same pups in an alder/rosewood SX and the basses sound completely different. SX now made fretless btw.

These pups seem to sound true to the sound of the unplugged bass but with a bit more low end.

Brian highly recommended these to me, so I put them in the SX but was never completely happy with them. :crying: With certain EQ settings my tone was crap. I talked with him extensively about
    other options when I built the new bass and he still had a soft spot for the Barts. I'm glad I stuck with them.
    In a good sounding bass, they can't be beat.:cool:

5. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    thanks guys