1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Concertos:Koussevitzky vs. Dragonetti?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Eli_Upright12, Aug 27, 2007.

1. I'm gonna get a concerto to start working on and hopefully play in the future, which one of these two do prefer or think is a better piece?

2. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    What pieces have you worked on so far?

3. Ive done the Scarlatti sonatas, Eccles,along with other less notable pieces.
    Currently working on the Chanson Triste by Koussevitzky, Romance from Lieutenant Kije by Prokofiev, Vivaldi violin concerto in G minor,and parts of various Bach cello suites(a constant work in progress).
    I'm also open to any suggestions, but these two pieces to me seem to be the next step for a piece to work on long term and something pretty challenging that might even be a little out of my range at this point.

4. Well, if you are about to start I would say Dragonetti. My maine reason is that the Dragonetti will teach more than the Koussevitzky will. It will build more "chops" so to speak. And, help you with harmonics across the fingerboard and beyond.

I think the Koussevitzky is a little harder. Not due to tough passages, but due to the expression factor. Not that you can't be expressive in the Dragonetti.

5. Does the Dragonetti have some off the fingerboard harmonics? I watched youtube videos and thought I saw some high up harmonics, but I sort of like the Koussevitzky better but maybe since Im already playing one Koussevitzky piece I'll try something different.

6. Dragonetti's not the most musically satisfying piece, but it does sound like a better fit with everything else you've worked up to so far. Think of the Dragonetti as an etude, if anything. I think the Dragonetti can help prepare you for the Koussevitzky, which is more challenging and certainly more satisfying. You will ultimately want to have the Koussevitzky in your back pocket for when you need a concerto (such as auditions), and learning it right the first time around will save you time later.

That said, do whatever your teacher recommends.

7. Thank you thats exactly what I was hoping some one would say about one of the pieces, I really want to push my playing to the next level and even if I can't play one of these pieces straight through I want to have something that will require improved skill. The dragonetti's first movement is a little faster right?

8. The first movement is kindof fast. I'd say around 120bpms for the quarter note.

9. thanks, I'm trying to change it up a bit it seems like I always end up playing something slow and legato in Bb major or G minor, so I'm always looking for something that will take me out of that comfort zone.