Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concord Nkabinde

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Murf, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi Guys/gals,
    Having watched the Nelson Mandela 46664 concert (To check out Paul Rogers with queen....the jury's still out on that one btw..how in the name of jeebus can you forget the lyrics to we will rock you when your the bloody frontman for Queen is beyond me)

Anyway I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by a guy called Johnny Clegg and his band the bassist in particular was outstanding, so I did a bit of checking and the guys name is Concord Nkabinde (Brilliant...kinda like John Cleese's valet in The Holy Grail :p )

This guy is lethal, anybody else ever heard him?? Seriously check him out .

2. Kwaito

Kwaito

Feb 15, 2004
    If you think Concorde is cool you should check out Johnny Clegg's previous bass player Solly Letwabe(he died a couple of years ago) - he's the one responsible for those killer bass lines and played on most of Johnny's albums - great feel!

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    WOW!! cheers Kwaito, I gotta check him out, any album recommendations??

(Habib Faye is another unsung hero imo, he's done some great work with Youssou Ndour especially on the older recordings).

cheers
    Murf

4. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Solly was an excellant player. I had the great fortune to see the band back in the early '90's and got to meet the band after. Check out the live Johnny Clegg DVD for some great work. Recorded, the best are "Shadow Man" and "Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World". Also check out the "Johnny Clegg Anthology" Cd for a great overview of Clegg's career with his first band Juluka and the later band, Savuka. The bass player in Juluka had a very interesting style. If you happen across it, get the Scatterlings Cd by Juluka.

I've seen Clegg twice in concert(once with Solly and once with Concord) and they were the best shows I've ever seen for performance and energy. He's on tour in the States again this August, but sadly not coming here.