Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Configuring MIDI with Reason

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Not sure what forum to post this in.

I am unable to get my controller keyboard to "control" anything in Reason (2.5). Have verified that the MIDI out on my keyboard is working by sending it to a sound module, and I have used the MIDI thru on the Firewire410 to verify that the MIDI signal passes through that device correctly.

Physical wiring:

Keystation88 MIDI OUT to Firewire410 MIDI IN
    connected to Mac via firewire connection.
    Midi Channel 01

Reason configuration:
    MIDI Preferences: Firewire410, Channel 01
    In the MIDI portion on the rack, I have Firewire410 in BusA.
    Channel 1 is then set to some other rack device (NNXT or other).

As far as I can tell, no MIDI information is being sent to the rack device. Is there some step that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

2. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    hmm, i'm not sitting in front of my mac to step through but i can check when i get home and post my setup.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    That sounds right, I am not at my workstation either.

Reason has a little MIDI note on/off light in the left side of the transport. Does that light when you play on the controller? If it does, then you got it right, you just have to re-route in side Reason, if not, then its not even getting to Reason.

Also in the Sequencer window where it lists what you have in the rack, if I remember right you have to select which instrument you want the MIDI to go to. A MIDI jack icon thing on the left side? My memory may be off though.

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I'll check both of those things when I get home tonight. Thanks.

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I did have the MIDI plug showing on the correct track, but the MIDI note indicator light was not lighting up. After a few hours of being really pigheaded and messing with every MIDI setting I could find, I finally bypassed the Firewire410 and went from the controller to the computer directly via USB. I modified the MIDI settings and veeohlaa, controller works. "Note On, Baby! Note On!" My wife now thinks I'm insane. Well, I'm off to the store to get a USB hub.

Thanks,
    Ben

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Glad you got it happening. Thats wierd about the 410, but not suprising, MIDI can be (as you now know) very frustrating.

Have fun.