Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FaBu-, Sep 15, 2004.

1. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    What strings do they use on Conklin's 7 strings? Does Conklin make strings? If does, are they good? :) What string brands make 7 string sets?

Thanks.

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think Conklin makes their own strings. Or they have them made and slap Conklin on them. I've never used them so I can't tell you if they are good strings or not.

3. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Thanks for the reply! So please someone who's used them, tell me something about them. How they sound and how long they last etc. Mark Beem and John Turner, you're needed here ;)

4. Not sure but I think they used to be repackaged Dean Markley SR2000's, and now they are SIT strings of some kind. Never tried SIT strings, but the SR2000's were on my bass for a little while. Tapered at the bridge end, and hence responsive and alive despite the thick gauge I tried (47-127). Very good sustain too, but I didn't like the boxy midrange, so I switched to Blue Steels instead.

5. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    The SIT Conklins are stainless steel with exposed core in an unusual gauge (fat low strings/light high strings). They're very expensive.

Tom

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like the Dean Markely's for sound, though I've gotten a set of questionable quality at one point.

7. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Ok thanks guys.

So Conklin makes 7 string sets, Dean Markley makes 'em... Any other brands making 7 string sets? :confused:

8. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Dean Markley, LaBella... you can also add a .018 to .025 to a 6 strings set.

good luck
    PL

9. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    [​IMG]

$39.99 @ Musicians Friend :bag:

10. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Hmmm, those gauges are the same as the Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lee sets. I don't think that's a coincidence - I've never seen another maker with those particular gauges.

11. The new Conklin-SIT strings are superior in every way to the Markleys. You can get them from Conklin direct.

12. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I play an Elrick 7, and Lakland fretted and fretless 5's. I buy 5 string Lakland medium stainless sets (from Lakland direct), which are actually GHS Super Steels. I use those on the 5's. I then buy seperate Super Steel c and f strings to make a 7 string set, which I use on the Elrick.