1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Conklin, Wolf, or...? The search for a seven!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle Hanky, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    *Allow me to preface this by saying I don’t give one blistered bleeding crap if you don’t like extended range instruments. “Jaco only needed four” wasn’t funny the first 16289092872626737389928175152684042718627949373 times. I know. I’m going to get flambeed for even saying this. But GAWD!!!!!*

::breathes:: I’m on the hunt for a seven string bass. I know that Conklin is pretty highly regarded. Wolf seems a bit hit or miss, perhaps? Are there any makers I’m missing that don’t want your firstborn and your favorite dog as payment? I’d like to buy used. I’d say my budget would be around a thousand dollars US, but a penny saved is a penny earned. I’d rather not deal with international shipping if it’s avoidable. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you can find one, trying to get a Conklin Bill Dickens signature model 7. It has some noticeable upgrades compared to the standard GT7 along with having a tighter spacing at the nut, which becomes more important the more strings you add. I’ve owned, oh geez- I think three of them? After my last one I finally decided to stick with 6-strings, but they are phenomenal instruments and probably as easy playing a 7-string as you’re going to find. They can be had for $1000 if you look around and are patient. My first one was only $850. I’ve tried 2 or 3 other inexpensive 7s, and generally the necks aren’t as thin and narrow at the nut and don’t seem like they were thoughtfully designed to be easily playable despite the string count.

TolerancEJ, mark beem and Uncle Hanky like this.
  3. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks! I really appreciate the info. Those Wolf basses are certainly pretty, but I feel like Conklin has a pretty sterling reputation. I will certainly check out the Bill Dickens!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
  5. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
  6. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Just so you know.
    The Wolf 7 that I had is different from the newer series of Wolf basses that are out now.

7. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Research would indicate that they have stepped up QC a bit. I mentioned to a friend that I’d like to move to a 7, and he suggested them. The finishes are just gorgeous.

8. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Can you handle 13 lbs?

9. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Be advised.The only way you can physicaly play one is go to the store in California.
    All In One Guitars is the only store in the US that has them.
    The one I had I bought online from Ebay.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  10. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I’m 5’9 and 230lbs. I look like an upright pit bull.

gebass6 likes this.
  11. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Yeah, but I’d be doing that with practically any 7. Not too many in the wild around me, hahaha.

12. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    https://www.allinoneguitars.com/

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  13. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
  14. I'd get a Conklin Bill Dickens if you can find one. I have one and it plays really well, easier to get around on than many 6's I've owned. You can find them for around $900-1000 when they pop up.

TolerancEJ and Uncle Hanky like this.
  15. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    That really seems to be the general consensus with Conklins in my price range. Thanks!!!

16. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    While searching for a flanger last night, I found Mel Davis on a Smith 7. Check him out. Very cool sounds.

TolerancEJ and Uncle Hanky like this.
  17. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    WOW. That is truly a phenomenal-sounding instrument! So piano-like!!! drooldrooldrool

18. The clarity of treble from that Smith is nuts!

I've only played the Conklin sevens, a couple Ibanez BTBs and a Galveston.

The Galveston was kind of garbage. I don't have much more to say about that one...

Between the Conklins, the neck profile and string spacing are sleeker and more comfortable on the GTBD-7. It also has better electronics, though the preamp is a little more complex than I need. Of those two, I'll echo the others who said to get the Dickens if you can find one. It's probably the most comfortable seven I've played.

The BTB7 (old design) is also nicely built and well-balanced. Its neck profile is reasonable but not as svelte as the Dickens. Fretwork from the factory is OK but not nearly as nice as Conklin's. The stock electronics on the BTB are GREAT in my opinion, probably the highlight of the bass: the preamp is simpler, but clear and natural sounding--not really better than the Conklin but more to my taste. Be aware that the old BTB7 has different (and in my opinion better) pickups and electronics than the current BTB747.

Overall the BTB is my favorite, partly for its sound and partly because its look suits me better than my crazy melted-looking purple Bill Dickens. But honestly the Dickens is probably a better bass on the whole and maybe your best bet for an affordable seven.

19. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    I had a GT-7 15 years ago and it was a great bass. Super easy to play and sounded good.

Uncle Hanky likes this.
  20. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Any chance any of you fine folks have gotten your hands on an Ibanez BTB series seven?