1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Contemplating getting a Bent End pin

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by pmad_bass, Jun 30, 2014.

1. pmad_bass

pmad_bass Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Mainly doing so so that the weight of the bass (when standing) falls more toward my body, as opposed to away, as it does now. I see that one could buy a pin that is pre-bent, thereby allowing you to try it out before having any major surgery done to the instrument. http://www.slavapub.net/Endpins-Bent_endpin.html

I'm not sure how this factors in but my bass is large and I only use about 6 inches (first notch) of my current straight pin. I'm assuming the less length one uses, the less benefit of the bent pin.

Anyway was wondering, of those who have gone whole hog on the the bent route, any regrets, no regrets? Also was wondering what if might do in terms of resale value to the instrument.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The bent pin shown on the Slava site is not the same as a Laborie angled pin that is inserted directly in the block. I have used both. A bent pin will indeed help the bass fall into or away from your body. The pin has to be securely fixed in the socket so it doesn't spin around. Some sockets may not be capable of this.

The more length used with the Laborie pin, the greater the angle of bass to body, so you need to find the sweet spot for you. I have no regrets having my basses drilled even though I don't use the Laborie much anymore. I don't think resale value will be affected with the hole unless a buyer needs a hole at a different angle and would want to plug the current one.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Eric, out of curiosity, you say you had your basses set up for Laborie, but ended up not using it all that much. Can you explain? This is something I've considered, but never wanted to do. I've played basses set up this way, but they weren't set up for me, so they didn't feel quite right. People who I know who use them swear by them.

I feel like I am able to lean the weight of the bass into my body with a regular end pin, so I may be missing something. Would be interested in hearing about your experiences with this journey and back.

4. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    KC Strings seems to have a nice product for this. I believe Lemur has something similar for angling the bass backward via the endpin unit as well.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I started using the Laborie pin when I was having hand, wrist and forearm issues a number of years ago. I had also seen/heard F Rabbath play a number of times during that period, even got a chance to hang with him at his apartment in Paris, so my interest in trying it out was piqued. I had heard that using the L pin could take the weight of the bass off of my left hand thumb, as the bass isn't held up at all by the left arm/thumb when using the L pin. Like you, I thought I was already putting the weight of the bass into my body while standing, but found that the L pin really completed the job by totally freeing up the left hand. It worked well for me, and took some stress off of my hand.

The only reason I stopped using it was because I started sitting pretty much full time, which puts the bass in much the same position as when using the Laborie pin while standing.

It takes some getting used to, and I'm not sure I have found the ideal way to use it myself, but watching Rabbath play with it is a beautiful thing. I think it is very useful for arco playing. The bass lays more in the open cello-like position with full access to all strings.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for sharing your perspective on it.

7. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Great to hear your experience Eric.
    I've tried a couple of basses and it wasn't a love at first play kind of thing....but it might be that over time I would have started to see the benefits. I think with this kind of thing you really need to go all in with it, but that's a tough move as you don't know if it will work out. I'm interested in hearing from people who have made the switch.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    At the Aebersold camp this week, Lynn Seaton (who normally uses the Laborie or something very much like it) wasn't able to bring his regular bass, so he's using the school's Shen SB100. He brought his own bent endpin, and was quickly able to set the bass up to find his normal playing stance. I asked him about it and he says it's "almost as good" as the other setup, and that for traveling situations like this, almost as good is a godsend.

9. I just ordered the Slava Pub Bent End Pin. I'll let you know how I like it. I'm hopeful.

geoffbassist likes this.
  10. Have used the Slava Bent End Pin on 3 gigs and for all practicing now for 4 weeks. I'm REALLLLY liking it. Puts my bass at an ideal angle, takes all the pressure off my left thumb, and leaves much more room for dexterity and articulation. I don't find it to be "bouncy" at all, as some have observed. The company was great too. The first one they sent me was from my straight end pin measured length out of the bass. When I got the first bent shaft from Slava, it felt shorter than I wanted. I asked, and they sent me 3 more end pins of varying lengths and told me that I could try them all out and keep the one I liked the best. I was out of town for two weeks and then sent them back and they were completely understanding.

Great company, great service, and I highly recommend trying one out.

gnypp45 and geoffbassist like this.