Convert 3 knob vvt Jazz to stacked vtvt?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matt O, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    I have a 3 knob MIM 60s classic Jazz that I'm thinking of converting to stacked knobs. Anyone done this? My main concern would be if the cavity would be deep enough to accommodate the pots and if the control plate is the same size. Anybody?

2. VTVT is not very practical.

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  3. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Thanks for the reply.

Anybody?

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Of course it's possible, and I'm sure the pots fit in the standard size jazz bass control cavity.

The reasons for Line6 man's rather short reply is that when you have two tone controls in a passive system with no pickup switch, the two tone controls will interact. Even though you have two knobs, it's almost like having two master tone controls. It looks cool though, and if you want to change your bass to stack knob there's no reason not to...it's your money. :) I believe the stack knob control plate is the same size but of course has one less hole than the standard jazz bass control plate.

A google search for "jazz bass stack knob harness" turns up pre-wired setups from different sellers.

5. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Thanks, for the reply.

All I was asking was if the stacked pots will fit the cavity and if the control plate was the same size. All of the other info offered, I am already aware of. Especially who's money I'm spending :)

6. What pots, and what control plate?

7. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Control plate from a late 90s Fender 62 reissue with the stock pots and wiring. No resistors. I haven't made the purchase yet, so it isn't in my hands yet. I think I answered my own question by doing further searching here, I found someone that did the conversion on the same model I have. I was mostly concerned whether MIM basses had a shallower rout in the control cavity. Guess not!

8. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    No problem. I did this with a '92 MIM JB.

Matt O likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    My 09 AmStd P had a stacked pot and Tonestyler in it for a little while. It fit fine, but I remember it being pretty particular about getting the pickguard back on.

Matt O likes this.
  10. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Cool, thanks.

How did you like the Tonestyler? Yay? Nay? Meh?

11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Agreed. OP needs to go VTVTVTVT.
    Anything less is for chumps.

Matt O likes this.
  12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    No need to be snarky -- we're trying to help.

THIS.
    zg_controls_1000.jpg

Matt O likes this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Since he's got three holes in the control plate, surely he's putting in a 3-way toggle too.

14. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Not nearly enough knobs packed in there. Could use a few more buttons that light up when I push them.

Also, I would like a preamp activated by a pull start like on a lawn mower.

Karl_V likes this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

I did a lot of digging around over the weekend looking at pots. You can find their datasheets pretty easily.

16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Had you seen that before? It was Zappa's late 70's #1.

Karl_V and Matt O like this.
  17. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Yeah, Matt O, find the data sheets, you lazy sod. If Lemmy can find them, anyone can, he's off his boobies and thinks he's doing matt lauer tomorrow am.

18. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    I figured the extra hole would be for a laser pointer to entertain any cats in the audience. You know, have em chase it around.

19. Killed_by_Death

Yeah, he called her Roxy. I'm sure Dweezil has her now.

[​IMG]

20. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Ya know, I sometimes ask myself "what would Lemmy do".

The answer has gotten me into more than one "situation".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021