Convert a JBL powered sub to passive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grouse789, Aug 5, 2017.

1. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    So, a school threw out a jbl eon 518s (18" powered sub).
    It does not power up, however the speaker and insides look clean!
    I don't know too much about crossovers. But I am wondering this.
    If I undo the pos and neg wires from the powered section, and rewire them passive from speaker to a 1/4" out , have I just gained a basic 18" bass cab?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, this will work but you will probably find this to be a very dark sounding cabinet due to the driver parameters. Also, that sub uses the differential drive woofer, going from memory it dual 2 ohm voice coils wired in series (some versions of the DD woofers brought out all 4 leads, so watch for this before you take it apart)

This might have more value being sold as is, there are shops that specialize in servicing these amp modules and the sub itself is really quite good. With that money, you could put it towards getting something more bass guitar friendly.

BassmanPaul and Passinwind like this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You could do as you suggest but I would opt for a four pole SpeakOn. A bi-amp system would be the best for this cabinet. How it will work on a stage is another question.

As usual @agedhorse has a better suggestion. :D

4. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    Wow, those were some fast response replies guys. I think selling it as is just may be the best idea.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021