1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Convert to string through?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jared92, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Hey! I have a Fender Jazz V (Mex) that i was to convert to string through. Is there any logical way of doing this, and any tips?

2. You'll need a new bridge, ferrules and a drill I suppose. Myself, I'd just replace the bass. I don't think it's worth the trouble.

3. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Well im getting a musicman Stingray. Its been on layaway and ive been paying it off. But im not getting rid of my fender i love it to death. Im also ordering a Badass V for it next pay check. Which should definatly improve how it plays.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I've done this to 2 basses in my life- a MIM Jazz, and my SR5... the MIM went well, but the SR5, not so much. The SR5 still plays well and sounds great, but it will always carry the scars of my mistake... I regret it every time I pick it up!

5. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    On converting a MIM Jazz? Did you run into any problems with string winding length? I use .110 Half rounds and can't run thru-body on the E and A because the windings don't go through the nut slot, they taper approx. 1/4-1/2 " before.

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    there's been a thread or two on this topic the the Set-up & Repair section and at least one in the Luthier's Forum. worth a search to see the great details there

suffice it to say that you'll need a bridge that accommodates thru-body stringing, and the right tools to do it with a drill press being an absolute minimum. I've done a few conversions to finished bodies, and it's a real pain to do the job so it looks like an original install - even 1/32" off on one of your ferrules will glare madly at you each time you look at it.

it's a total pain to do, will take you well over a couple hours to complete start -> finish, and the end result is barely noticable (sonically or feel) at best. you'd be better off financially and sonically by simply buying a new set of strings one guage heavier and re-stringing your bass. add a complete set-up + pickup adjustment + intonation and you're on your path to a more robust sound without all of the potential to cause permanent damage to your bass

just my two Indian Rupees on the topic

all the best,

R

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I string-through on both my Laklands. I use D'Addario Super-Long Scale strings (half-rounds on my fretless, prosteels on my fretted) with no taper for this exact issue.

8. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Doing a through mod at the mo... was going to go string through on my MIM p but got distracted. Pics when completed.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had this problem when I converted my fretless Jazz to string thrrough. I ended up solving it by ordering a set of Carvin ferrules, which go further into the body, making the distance shorter between the nut and the ball end of the string.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    One question:

Why?

11. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Yeah I tried the Supers and then sank the ferrules deeper into the body and still have the winding problem, Oh well, Gives me something to work on...more as it develops

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The biggest advantage of string through is you get to buy more expensive strings!

13. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    String ferrules, string through bridge, and new strings parts wise. I converted my Squier to string through but I had a luthier perform the work.

14. Why do you want to take a chance in screwing up your stick? Don't do it, it's not worth the risk if your not a luthier. Besides, if you did do it right, your not really going to notice a difference, especially if your playing live - you'll never hear it.:meh:

15. One possible solution to the string length issue is to install a set of the incredibly trick Sperzel locking tuners. These will reduce the amount of excess string required at the headstock.

http://www.sperzel.com/default.asp

16. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've done it a couple times with good results as far as not screwing it up. But you must use a drill press and good drill bits and really know how to use your tools. It's not something an amateur should attempt. Sonically there is very little improvement, if any. At least, you won't hear any when playing with a band, or set in the mix properly when recording.

I didn't have any problems with not enough winding length although it was close. I was using Thomastic JF 344s. If it is a concern, Carvin sells string ferrules made so that the ball ends go deeper into the body-1 inch I believe. They look just like any other string ferrules and are available in chrome, gold or black. They come stock on their Bolt line of basses. I had a Bolt I built from a kit. Great sounding and playing bass. I switched back and forth between string through and top loading and couldn't notice any appreciable difference in sound or feel.