1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Converting from guitar to bass

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Kanekutter05, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Kanekutter05

Kanekutter05

Apr 29, 2015
    Colorado
    Hello all! So I have been a guitar player who has dabbled with bass for about 12 years now, and I am officially converting to a bass player who dabbles in guitar. I never felt comfortable on guitar, nor did I ever have the desire to become great at guitar. I just learned enough to get by, enough to play chords and rhythm and I could throw in a couple of licks here and there. But now that I'm focusing on bass, it's speaking to me more so than guitar ever did. I find myself looking at bass lesson videos all day, I play more bass in a day than I would play guitar in a week before. Bass is my home I have now discovered, so I am looking forward to learning everything I can from this forum. I may not be a native bassist, but I hope I can be accepted for being a convert!

Cheers all!

zontar and SamJ like this.
  2. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I'm not speaking for all here, but I think a major hurdle anyone going from guitar to bass must understand is that you are somewhat as a bassist leaving the melodic realm and entering the rhythmic realm ... there is a certain percussiveness in playing the bass, and you're more locked in with the drummer than the melodic singing/guitar/horns etc... That and learning good tone techniques will be your single biggest hurdles, or you risk being "a gui****" ;)

Kanekutter05 likes this.
  3. Kanekutter05

Kanekutter05

Apr 29, 2015
    Colorado
    I think honestly that's why I never felt comfortable on guitar, I never felt strong in creating/playing melody. I definitely don't want to be a "gui****" that's for damn sure. Thanks for the tips!

SamJ likes this.
  4. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    and that was my story as well... I spent 2 years learning and playing guitar and switch to bass 30 years ago and never looked back.. I still know a few open chords and barre chords but that's the extent of my guitaring!

5. I play both. Both are different yet related. Only big problem guitarists normally have is filling their bass lines too full. Less is more.

Rhythm guitarists normally make the move with little or no problems.

zontar likes this.
  6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 to what's already been said. You are now in the rhythm section, so that is crucial when it comes to how you think. But judging by the fact that you feel that bass "speaks to" you, I'd say you're likely already there. Keep on jamming!

7. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I'll accept you as a convert--hey--I'm primarily a guitar player who used to mostly dabble in bass (I did take bass lessons as well as guitar lessons), but over the last few years has played more & more bass--especially after getting my fretless.
    I'm still more a guitar player--but I'm also a bass player.

Welcome!

8. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5

9. Well cool beans, I'm doing the same thing! Been playing guitar for 33 years and started bass back in '05 due to the fact that you couldn't throw a rock in my town and not hit a guitar player. Besides, it is a lot more fun steering the ship than being a passenger .