1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Convince me to get a Lakland DJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starflyer59, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Hi everyone, i have been looking to get a new bass and i stumbled upon a very good deal.

Some older player who has tendinitis is liquidating all of his gear and he has a barely played Lakland DJ5 in sparklying black with rosewood fingerboard for $850.

As i stupid for just typing this or should i just go get it?? I have tried the DJ5 before (The old model with the aero pickups) and it really nails the classic jazz bass tone.

any suggestions??

2. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    As a former DJ owner who only sold it to get a US Lakland, I say go for it. As long as it's in decent condition, that's a good price for a DJ5. You already know you like it. If it has the Hanson pups, you may find that it doesn't sound as aggressive as a DJ with the Aeros, but the Hansons come closer to classic J tone to my ears.

3. Pearldiver

Pearldiver

Apr 30, 2005
    See if he will let you play it through your rig before you buy. Then make a decision. The most comfortable bass in the world means little if it sounds terrible.

4. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    go for it.

5. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I love all the Lakland basses. If you like a 5 and Jazz Bass style then you'd be a fool not to do this ( assuming you have the money and it's in this condition ).

6. macribas

macribas

Jan 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Let me know if you decide not to buy it and I will take it. If you don't like fivers I might trade you my DJ4 for that.

7. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    I have a DJ4 and its the bee's knee's!!! :)

8. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    I have a DJ5 with Aero's, and I'm no longer looking for THE J bass.
    Enough said, apart from that I paid the equivalent of $1580 for mine new. But still worth every penny.

9. MBSideman

MBSideman

Apr 20, 2011
    Arizona
    Did you buy it? If not, I'm definitely looking for that exact bass. Would you mind letting me know or connecting me?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021