1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Convolution reverb; bass samples needed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by chazzbo, May 1, 2006.

1. chazzbo

chazzbo

May 1, 2006
    Hi all, I'm new to this site and have registered to spread what I believe is good advice and ask for everyones help.

Since I bought an electric double bass I have been struggled to get a good sound when recording. I learned about convolution reverb which uses real recordings of spaces to make reverbs. I came up with the idea of creating an impulse response of my acoustic double bass. I did this in a rush before I sold it by mic'ing close to the sound hole with an AKG C1000 and tapping the body of the bass with my finger. I then applied this impulse to my EDB using a free convolution reverb program called SIR and I was very impressed with the results. Feel free to email me for samples of the results.

SIR runs as a cubase plugin and is available free from www.knufinke.de/sir.

:help: Unfortunately I only have this one poorly recorded impulse from a pretty average sounding Andreas Zeller bass. If anyone could help me by making an impulse response for their bass I would be very gratefull. To record an impulse response all you need is a mic and something to make a precussive noise in the body of your bass (the easiest is to tap the outside). The kind of mic you use, the postition of the mic and how you make the tap will all make a difference, so it's best to do loads. They should be recorded as .wav files. I would be happy to take them all and advise you of which are the best ones. I am also happy to advise on how to use them. I would be very gratefull to anyone who can help me with this experiment.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This is a great idea even for live use.

You could record the impulse response of your bass (or a really good bass) and then apply it to a bass that is optimized for live use (i.e. to minimized feedback). You'd be back to your best bass sound but with minimal feedback.

I unfortunately have a poor bass that sounds OK with a pickup, but not very good otherwise. But I sure could benefit from some people donating their impulses for the cause.

I hope you can get some traction.

For those interested to see what this kind of reverb can do check out the Larry Seyer acoustic drums video at:
    http://www.larryseyer.com/content/view/37/53/
    It's based on Gigapulse - but you'll get the idea.

3. chazzbo

chazzbo

May 1, 2006
    cheers for the imput seamonkey.

I agree it would be great for live use the only problem is the latency of SIR. other programs may be better but no one really wants to take a laptop and sound card to a gig. What would be great is if someone put the technology into a pedal, it's got to be possible.

I'll be glad to share impulses if I get any. feel free to email me for the one from my old bass. as I said it's not very good and peaks on a few frequencies but with compression and eq it's still usable. chazz@bushidoentity.com

4. I would be happy to help, but I do not have any recording means or knowledge. If you are within driving distance of Pittsburgh, Indiana, or Harrisburg PA then I'd be happy to meet you so you could make your recordings.

Chris

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Chazz - welcome to TB. Please fill in your profile, and remember that the rules don't allow posting the same thing in more than one forum.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's unfortunate that there is absolutely no way in the world to reproduce the sound of an acoustic double bass in the recording studio without a rack full of electronic gear.:rollno:

7. chazzbo

chazzbo

May 1, 2006
    thanks to conte2music for the offer unfortunately I live in the UK so can't come and record you.

please bare it in mind if you meet anyone with recording stuff, It doesn't have to be the best. Sometimes poorly recorded responses work well.

thanks to chris for the info your title's better than mine anyway.

thanks for your input Ed but you would be surprised by the results. email me for samples if your interetsed? remember I'm just trying to make a EUB sound more like an acoustic.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Best of luck.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  10. Steve Steele

Steve Steele

May 31, 2006
    I know this is an OLD thread. But I'm still searching for an upright bass IR. Does anyone have one they could share with me please?

Even if it's not the best, it would still be helpful.

Thanks!

reply back and I'll give you my email address or we can use dropbox, whatever.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

What's an "IR" ..? :confused:

12. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    This IR thing is an interesting idea if you look at it from the perspective of mixing concert audio with compromised bass sound... It could be that a DI feed (which sounds like ****) could be fed through a convolution reverb with the impulse of that same bass's acoustic resonance, and maybe maybe maybe mean less ****** sounding live jazz records?

I agree with Ed it's silly if you are trying to recreate the sound of an acoustic bass with an EUB or porkchop, but I can see interesting uses.

John

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

As they say - Garbage in = Garbage out - no matter how you process it.

14. Steve Steele

Steve Steele

May 31, 2006
    Garbage in = Garbage out? You have no idea what I plan on doing with these IRs.

I'm looking for impulse responses of a double bass body and body/strings resonance (inside space), for sound design purposes.