Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool restoration project, Flea's smashed Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Saw this on the net a while back, and did some tracking down to it's current owner. Believe it or not, other than some clear coat flaking, the neck is undamaged.....says a lot for graphite! I plan on getting a new body from Modulus, and swapping the parts over to it to use as a player, and of course keep the parts to put back to the way it was left, for future collector reasons. I've actually even found the owner of it's original preamp, and guts....trying to work a deal on them for it as well.

Couple questions:

Is anyone aware of Modulus' policy on selling a replacement part on something like a body? I'm not coming off the broken one to get a new one.

How is Modulus with their serial numbers? Will they be able to authenticate it's original owner?

This isn't going to be a cheap project, but I think it will be a good investment.

Here is a quick snippet of an article, on this basses last show:

FOO FIGHTERS + RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
    26 October 2002: Wiltern Theatre — Los Angeles

The Red Hot Chili Peppers came out with just a little bit of extra snarl. Perhaps they were excited about this show: small venue, Halloween, hometown. They wore no costumes, but started off with the funky "By the Way" off the album of the same name. Again the crowd went wild. There were problems with singer Anthony Kiedis' mic during the first half of the song, but thankfully, the technical problems were resolved quickly. Preternatural guitarist John Frusciante's strong, melodious backing vocals were present from the start and remained solid throughout the night. At the end of the song, Flea destroyed his bass. Just demolished it in a fit of energy/rage/testosterone. He later offered a kind of half apology about it and then told the crowd he had already forgiven himself for destroying an expensive piece of equipment.

What do you think? What would something like this be worth?

[​IMG]

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Bad pic, more to come when it arrives. I don't think so Britney bin Laden. :)

[​IMG]

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Sorry bro OT no workie for this subjecty. Off to basses.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Doh, sorry Odie! I thought the project part of it might make it a little OT.

5. Ouch...got rejected :(

*emo*

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Let me get this straight, is that really the one Flea smashed? And he uses a Badass II? Hmm, I think Modulus is saving a few $'s...

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yes, it is. Also, BA2 bridges are available as an upcharge on the flea basses, but the gotoh they come with stock is rather nice as well.

8. i hate it when dudes smash their basses.
    Somebody could get alot of use out of that thing.
    Somebody like me.
    Or some kid who really really wants to play but just cant afford a bass.
    I'm gonna start writing bassists and saying
    "hi there, I'm a beginning bassist, I admire your work, but, could you, at your next show, instead of blasting your bass into a hundred pieces, pack it up and send it to me and I'll send you 50 bucks.
    Thanks..."

hehe.
    I wonder if that would work,lol 50 bucks probly doesnt matter to most bassists. Could buy them a bottle of booze or something. Better than the nothing you get from busting a good instrument up.

I dunno. Just hurts to see people ruining things I'll never be able to afford, like it's nothing.

9. I agree with you...especially a Mod!

I saw the Ataris' bassist smash his P bass...that ticked me off! I woulda taken it! :(

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Oh quit yer bitchin'

Bands do what they do for show. They aren't up on stage thinking "Hey, I could smash my instrument up because the crowd would love it... or I could send it to some kid who will play for a few years, then end up to busy to play..."

There is no such thing as "I can't afford a bass." There is just "My parents can't afford to buy me one and I'm to lazy to make my own money" or "My current job doesn't pay enough."

There is always a way to get what you want, it all depends on your work ethic.

11. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Its Flea's bass he can do whatever he wants to it

Modulus isn't endorsing Flea so he can give away free basses to people who then won't have any interest in buying their product. They're endorsing him to get their product noticed and smashing you bass does just that.

12. i was kinda joking, but i know what you mean Mike.
    Jeesh.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Contaced modulus today, they will not sell a body, or any parts for it. Not sure where to go from here.

14. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I would be very interested in getting this project from you.... maybe some kind of trade?!!?

Darrin

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I dunno.....what did you have in mind? I was really quite surprised Modulus is unwilling to work with me on this, I didn't expect it to be a problem.

In a way, I'd kinda like to keep this as an awesome collectible, if nothing else.....I've been a big flea fan for 15 years! Being that flea is one of the biggest musical icons of the 90's, I really believe some day this could be worth a nice chunk of change.

I don't know what I want to do at this point for sure, you're welcome to PM or email me and let me know what you had in mind....

Tim
    Racer48m@aol.com

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I dunno...I personally doubt it will be worth much in terms of monetary value...if you like it, that's something else.

17. too bad the pickup isnt in it :meh:

good luck with it though :)

oh yeah, how much did you pay for it from the guy you found that was the current owner?

18. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    How about just contacting Modulus about sending them the parts and asking them to repair it for you? They may just swap everything out for you. It won't be cheap if they agree to it but not much more than if you were to do it yourself.