1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Corelli 370m for a 4/4 bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Diego Gonzalez, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

I'm visiting this awesome site for some months ago. What a nice community!

I have a 4/4 bass, the scale is 105cm. I use Spirocore Mediums but I find them very difficult to play in the left hand. I play since May-2013. I've tried other basses (3/4) and I find them easier to play. My action is low, 5/6/7/8 and I like to play arco. Action in the nut seems to be okay (I did the credit card test).

I want to ask you guys if anyone knows the scale of Corelli's 370m. Some sites say that they are compatible with a 4/4 bass.

Also I'm a bit curious about downtuned Belcanto Solo's. Any tips? Or it's crazy?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards, from Argentina

2. I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a set of solo gauge Corelli 360TX I'd be glad to trade for your Spiro Mittels if you were interested.

3. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
  4. I once tried a Corelli 370TX on my 110cm scale bass. Not much left until the silk, but it worked.
    The tension will be a lot less, maybe too less.
    Note that almost any Corelli set (except the 370F) has less tension on the lower strings than on the upper ones. I don't like this (jazz & orchestra), but it seems this is what solo players like.

Also you didn't tell us which Spirocore Medium set you use, the 3/4 (3886.0) or the 4/4 (S42). You can change to the S42 set if you used the 3886.0 set and get about 10% less tension or use the S42W Light set (the 3/4 Spiro solo set has less tension on the lower strings) to get about the same tension as the Corelli 370M, but with a bit more tension on the lower strings (the E is a little bit weak, but not as much as with the Corelli).

Don't forget that you would loose a lot of power with low tension strings. It is OK to have a low tension set when the hand power is not trained, but you might get back to a higher tension string when your power comes back.

5. Thanks guys for the quick replies. I think I will try the Corelli's and save the Mittels (S42) for some other time. They are cheaper than the Weichs and Belcantos here.

Best regards

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Your scale length is average for a 3/4 bass so these will be fine.