Cornell vs. Vedder...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zachoff, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Isn't this the greatest in vocal 90's awesomeness? I'm a fan of Vedder... I'll come out and say it. This is my favorite from Vedder...

I like Vedder's version more... Just do.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Layne Staley > *All* other 90's singers.

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    Eddie Vedder! A much better songwriter than cornell as well, IMO.

4. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Cornell...he has a good voice, but I can't think of a more boring singer.

5. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Cornell is my favorite.
    :hides:

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I never got the appeal of Veddar. I always thought he was incredibly pitchy and went out of key more than a professional singer should. Plus, his pretentious "I don't want to be a rockstar" stuff got old really quick.

I also got sick of every 90s rock singer with a baritone getting compared to Veddar - or should I say, every 90s rock band with a baritone vocalist was automatically considered to be ripping off Pearl Jam. Creed and Stone Temple Pilots were not that musically close to Pearl Jam, yet for some reason, they were both Pearl Jam wannabes according to a lot of people. But that's the fault of whiney rock critics, not Veddar himself. ;)

7. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Cantrell.

8. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Staley > Cornell > Vedder > most others in the genre.

9. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Let me fix that for you.....

;)

10. The Beatles version. period. But between these two? Vedder. Cornell definitely has more range, but Vedder puts the soul into it that Cornell can't seem to muster in his version.
    Staley definitely rocked, but he was nothing without Cantrell. And I love Weiland, but EVERYTHING he did came after Cornell, Vedder, Cantrell and Staley.

11. I could never get into any of that yarling characteristic of underbite rock. It started out as a David Clayton-Thomas imitation and then morphed and multiplied into ubiquitous imitations of a David Clayton-Thomas imitation.

12. Ed is the top of the Grunge genre in my opinion. Layne was a close second.

Here is my favorite Vedder clip

13. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    if you like these two then listen to temple of the dog. its both of them in the same band.

14. Spoonman462

Spoonman462

Jan 20, 2008
    Cornell.

Never really liked Vedder (or PJ) much

15. cioppo

cioppo

Jun 15, 2010
    Prato, Italy
    Cornell, If you exclude the solo career

16. rocknrollbandit

rocknrollbandit

Jan 15, 2009
    Vedder, so much soul in his voice

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Agree.

18. I find Cornell's voice to be a bit more even across the range, vedder's falsetto annoys me.

19. Love them both, but the nod goes to Cornell.

20. I really think they fall into two different categories: Cornell is probably one of the great rock and roll vocalists from about 1990 forward while Vedder is one of the great songwriters ... IMO.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021