1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Corona Chorus or MXR chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 77stingray77, Dec 26, 2017.

1. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017
    which one is a better chorus?

2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    You’re asking for a definitive determination, based on an opinion?

I use the Corona Mini, so it’s clearly better!

;)

Both are good. But because of the TonePrint availability, I think it’s more flexible.

blindrabbit and theunknowndude like this.
  3. I started with the boss ceb3 however after looking at so much there’s a few reviews that say the mxr is too subtle where as the corona can always be altered via Toneprint editor if it’s subtle... I like that idea a lot.

4. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    The TCe Corona (larger version no the mini) has the tone print option which makes it very customisable, plus there is some software available to tweek and twiddle. I had one for many years and I only recently dropped for a Strymon Mobius. I love the CE-2 tone print and the fact that it is stereo capable too. I like the clarity of the chorus and that it can sit in a mix and add a subtle sizzle without dominating but still be heard. It can do the heavy chorus too but I liked the more subtle stuff. The MXR is a slightly different beast. There are no options other than it's baked in sounds but they do sound good. It's more of a modern sounding variant on a classic Chorus sound and it's got the option of the flanger. I like the Xover function for effecting only the trebles and mids (sadly missed on the TCe unit) and I like the bass and treble controls, that's a sweet feature. It's also an analogue chorus so it sounds a bit fatter and punchier than the TCe.
    Neither are better, just different and tailored differently. So there's no wrong choice here, just personal taste. It would be wise to demo both but no harm in taking a blind plunge either.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    StarCrazy likes this.
  5. Just to avoid any confusion, the Corona Mini does also have the Toneprint features

blindrabbit likes this.
  6. I loved my MXR micro chorus. I'm sure th TC is infinitely more flexible though, although I have no direct experience with it.

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I don't have any direct experience with the Coron (only via MS60B sim), but I did own the MXR BCD. I did like it and the flanger option is a real-nice-to-have, but ultimately found it a bit too subtle for my taste. I much prefered the MXR Stereo Chorus.

8. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    Love my mini corona. Have not used mxr. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I haven’t tried the MXR, but I love my TC Corona. It’s been on my board for over a year and is going nowhere.

StarCrazy, Jakeman and blindrabbit like this.
  10. No one will ever go wrong with the Corona.

11. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Bass Chorus Deluxe or the Analog Chorus? I guess it doesn’t matter because I liked both more than the Corona. :)

12. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'd vote for the MXR. I've never owned it but I did own the TC Corona and I couldn't make it pop in a mix, no matter what I did. I tried it it in a blend loop, I tried it with OD before and/or after... It was completely useless for my purposes, and I don't understand how it works for other bassists.

It sounded pretty great on guitar though. The toneprints for electric guitar are significantly better than the bass ones, imo