Coronavirus discussion thread - NO POLITICS, or "POLITICS by PROXY"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Mar 7, 2020.

1. I sitting on the fence on this. I am over 60 and from what I have read, I am in a higher risk group so I have been paying attention to the news stories. That said, the stores in our area are out of TP, bleach, water and hand sanitizers to name a few. Now, public events where crowds gather are being cancelled. One thing for sure, it will be very damaging to the economy. What are your thoughts on this?

Gibson Victory and lowplaces like this.
  2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Working in a theater/venue , I'm directly affected economicaly.
    Had a sold out show yesterday , half showed up......

If it lasts a couple of months , it will have a dramatic consequence.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I live pretty much at ground zero, in the area of California where several cases have shown up and there's been at least one death. I have friends that were on one of those cruise ships that was quarantined off of San Francisco.

It's real; no hype, but I'm not seeing as much panic out here as I'd expect. Last weekend we went to a benefit in a club and the place was packed. Last night I went out for dinner at a local shopping center and things were as busy there as I've ever seen.

I haven't been into a grocery store because I figure the panic buying will settle down in a couple of weeks. I'm planning to stock up on some things; canned goods, etc., just in case one of us gets sick and we all have to self-quarantine. There are three of us in the household right now, so that's going to be a lot of food. I am going to play the odds and stock up slowly, keeping my fingers crossed.

DennyOnBass and Mike Whitfield like this.
  4. Tori2013

Tori2013

Aug 28, 2015
    In the US 330,000,000 people, 340 cases. Odds: 1 in 970,000. Let the other people hoard the toilet paper.

5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yeah, those aren't the odds. That's just the current incidence rate. Very big difference.

Still, I see no reason for panic, or for the type of hoarding that is currently taking place.

The goal right now is containment so that it doesn't become a regular seasonal virus like the flu. Most of the precautions being taken now by officials are with that in mind - it's very much big picture stuff.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Its spread is very real. It is marching it's way down the west coast. The fatality rates are debatable. The 14 day incubation period is the real bear. That is a long time to be infectious and not know it.
    I think people in the US will be better off than China because we have better facilities and our government isn't overtly lying to us to cover it up. We won't know the real consequences until this fall.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think it's in the media's best interest to keep people watching and clicking and I think fear mongering is a good way to go about that goal. I think it's in everyone's best interest to not be an ass and wash their hands and not cough or sneeze on people. Sure it's real. The regular flu is real too.

8. And the death rate in China might be much higher than reported. The Chinese government has had very little credibility in the past so we can't use their data with confidence.

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Could be, could also be lower. It's too soon to tell.

lizardking837 likes this.
  10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Very real. Don't panic but take it seriously. Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Hoarding is stupid.

BBQisgood, Tbone76, DanAleks and 8 others like this.
  11. Asking people not to touch their face is like asking someone not to blink their eyes. Much easier said than done. Just sayin.

12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    True. I'm an inveterate face-toucher myself. This is going to be tough.

petrus61, Kro, Stewie26 and 1 other person like this.
  13. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Some a-hat spread their germs all over a grocery cart and now I'm battling a bad flu right now. You're GD right I'm concerned. Most people are selfish morons and wouldn't think twice about going in public and infecting other people.

Stumbo, Novarocker, Tbone76 and 7 others like this.
  14. Wash your hands, drink some water, and enjoy the show. Some could think civilization is too big to fail, some think it isn't.

All I can say for sure is that the shortage of bleach will lead to the collapse of civilization. There will be a reduction in sanitation supplies and demand will increase as people who know how to fabricate chlorine and distill alcohols into gelled sanitizers are strategically killed off by virus cults that see the virus as the coming of a vengeful elder god set on cleansing the earth of the non-deserving. Militias and militarily forces will be reduced to roving bands that scour the remnants of warehouses and facilities, so that they can sell and broker these products to fuel turf wars between them, struggling for secession. Eventually, a new faction achieves dominance, based on faith in some good figure known only as the hygienius, who brings forth the knowledge of sanitation, hygiene, and industrial manufacture and distribution of goods, ushering in a new golden age.

Or maybe I'm just letting my mind wander and we should just wait and see what happens, and in the meantime maintain a status quo of regular vaccinations, good hygiene like regular hand washing, and not stockpiling 3m dust-masks and hand sanitizers (which are a poor replacement to handwashing in the first place) so that professionals can have what they need to do their jobs. Also - healthy diet and proper hydration and adequate rest, while probably not a game changer, can honestly do no harm in general. Outside of that I'm not sure what we can do that I could realistically advocate, because I'm not a medical professional and haven't read anything - peer reviewed or otherwise - that I would consider respectable on the subject.

15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    According to the CDC, there were 20,000 deaths from the flu this season. Over 80,000 people die every year from alcohol.

In other words, yes, I think the threat from Corona is being overblown.

16. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    I just found out it's not new and...(from the World Health Org.)

"An epidemic of SARS affected 26 countries and resulted in more than 8000 cases in 2003.
    Since then, a small number of cases have occurred as a result of
    laboratory accidents or,
    possibly, through animal-to-human transmission (Guangdong, China)."

Novarocker and fleabitten like this.
  17. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I vote, "mostly media hype BUT ALSO a real concern."

18. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Right, which is why I am planning to stock up on enough that, if I or someone else here gets sick, we can self-quarantine. Not because I'm in a panic, but because not going out and infecting others is the responsible thing to do. Those who brush it off and don't prepare are going to have a choice of either starving or going out and spreading the love around.

It probably seems to some like overreacting but when you're literally surrounded on all sides by cases, it makes more sense. I'm 1 degree of separation from two people who are known to have been exposed. I haven't had contact with them but I know that they will be visiting people that my husband is also likely to visit. So...

19. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    SARS is not the same thing as COVID-19.

20. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    This is just the beginning. In our new altered climatic state, we'll be dealing with a lot of stuff we didn't have to before.

fhm555, Avezzano, higain617 and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021