Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corporate Parties

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 16, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've played one or 2 corporate parties before, years ago, but tomorrow is the first one where I'm the band-leader. Do you have any advice for me? I'd really like to impress the party planner so we can get into the big $ corporate circuit.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Best advice is to meet the planner when you arrive to discuss her dos and don'ts...then follow them to the letter!

I've heard many horror stories about bands getting in serious trouble for eating off the buffet table, having drinks on stage, etc.

Other than that, put on your best show and good luck!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Corporate gigs tend to be pretty high-dollar, compared to bar gigs, ours tend to be about 5 times more pay than a bar gig.

When we get them, we tow the line. Have everyone show up a tad early, have perfect manners and watch your language. Try to be as unobtrusive as possible - when on break, they shouldn't even know you guys are there. Be pleasant, and offer the event coordinator your first born child. Tell them to talk to you IMMEDIATELY with any concerns as the night progresses (volume preferences is primary). Start on time, end on time, don't "presume" anything is OK, always ask FIRST if in doubt.

Play well, take your tons of $$$$ and go have fun afterward!

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Show up early and be set up and out of sight well before the party is supposed to kick off.

Dont eat anything off the buffet table unless you are given permission.

Be prepared to take requests

When on breaks be out of sight not seen walking around.

Stay away from the bar

Dress professionally. (I cant stress that one enough)

In short, be professional.

5. It's funny that this gets posted, we were supposed to play a corporate party tomorrow night for the first time. Unbeknownst to me it was cancelled last week. Drat.

6. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I dont think I would like playing a corp. party.
    It seems to me like you have tip toe around when not playing, and while you are playing, you have to obide by what they want to hear and all.
    I know they pay well, but it sure seems like it would suck all of the fun out of music to me, and thats why I play, to have fun.
    Eh, I hate big business anyway. I cant stand people who think they are more important than others just because they make more money.
    I guess I wont be playing a corp gig anytime soon.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks for the advice. It went pretty well - we dressed better than usual and followed instructions. Unfortunately, neither the party planner nor the venue booking agent were there to see us do well. I introduced myself to the hostess on the way in, assuming she had some authority, but no, she left before we began. It turned out to be some manager guy who was in charge, and he was not very strict w/ his rules. The people told us that everyone would leave if we took a break, so we played for over 2 hours straight while they danced. Most people left after dinner, but the dancers appreciated us. Since we took no break, the food the mgr. set aside for us sat in the warmer for a looong time. Mmmm, dried out salmon!

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

When you see the amount of money being thrown your way, you'll be very interested. A $2K-$5K payday is way better than a $500 or less bar/club gig! Most corp. gigs require cover music at best or else they'd get a DJ!

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Be on time! Be extremely courteous! Do not play loud! Dress well. Be well rehearsed. Be prepared for long breaks as they tend to have all sorts of presentations. Do not expect to eat the same food as them, with them. If it happens, cool! Be prepared for folks asking or just coming onstage and singing or playing along! If all these rules are adhered to, you'll most likely be asked to return at a higher pay rate as well! Bottom line is, they wanna party and have a good time and if they sense any negativity, it'll be the last gig you do for them!

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Bingo! We have a winner. I wouldn't want to do corporate gigs exclusively, but stomaching one every other month or so sure makes for a good payday to pick up new gear for the gigs where we REALLY have fun.

11. Really, the "rules" for corporate gigs aren't that terribly strict. Politeness, courtesy, your basic professionalism, just taken to the next level. For the big bucks, it's not tough at all.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I know I'd rather be doing corporate gigs! Don't have to worry about all that damn cigarette smoke or late hours! Usually you'll play on a stage with a P.A. (at least in the ones we do)(we also have our own P.A. if needed). I hate doing bar/club gigs! We have a 7 piece band and the stage or area we have to 'squeeze' into is laughable. I'm usually stuck in a corner with no room for movement! Horrible! Give me a corporate gig any day!